cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore a VM from a Netbackup tape to a VMware environment

Dany54000
Level 4

Hello

My question is about how to restore a Virtual Machine which is in a Netbackup tape (e.g: tape of August 2015) in the actual VMware "Vsphere" environment.

I have a procedure which explains how to restore from Netbackup (see in attachment) but I have no idea how to bring up this VM into the VMware environment then.

In fact I DO NOT want to replace a VM by an old one but I just WANT to restore an existing VM from a tape of 6 month ago in the actual VMware environment (because I would like to double-check some datas).

In advance, I thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

Dany

24 REPLIES 24

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

NetBackup is very flixible here so you can just follow the wizard through and do the restore to an alternate location, even change its name, remove the network etc

You can then use the restored VM in an isolated environment.

Check the admin guide or just follow the restore wizard through to see all of your options .. but for what you want it is very straighforward to do.

Dany54000
Level 4

Hi Mark

I thank you for your reply.

I'd like to ask you a precision if you don't mind : When you're saying "just follow the wizard", are you mentionning the "restore.pdf" that I put in attachment or it is another wizard to be launched in the Netbackup console ?

Kind regards,

Dany

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I hadnt noticed your PDF but yes .. that shows the wizard that comes up when you kick off the restore.

4-13 and 4-14 really show all the changes you can make when doing the restore .. just redirect it and dont overwrite anything or use the original GUIDID if you just want data off an old copy .. 

Dany54000
Level 4

Mark

Thanks again for your help.

Well, I'm trying to understand how it works. Can you confirm me the following steps :

1. Put the tape of August 2015 in the Library "Autoloader"
2. Use the "Netbackup Administration Console" - "Backup, Archive and Restore" and get a wizard where I select the "Server to use for backups and restore", "Source client for restores", "Destination client for restores" and "Policy type for restore".
3. Move the VM from the tape to the SAN (datastore)
4. Bring up the VM from Vsphere

Am I correct ?

Reply:

If yes, do I first have to put the tape in the Library ?

Reply:

Where can I reach the content of this tape ?

Because on the wizard, on the "Source client for restore" I have "browse" and "Search VM content". Even if I choose the "browse" or "Search VM content" (where I have the "vCloud" and "vSphere View" buttons), I cannot select the tape that I'm looking for.

Reply:

In advance, I thank you for your reply.

Kind regards,

Dany

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You dont need to select a tape during the restire process.

If you are happy that the tape you have for August has the backup on then just open the BAR GUI - select the source and destination client as the VM you backed up and the policy type as VMware. The Server will always be the Master Server so dont change that.

Select the date of the backup in the upper pane - select the client in the bottom pane ... you can now use Action - Preview Media if you want to check that you are getting the correct tape

Then click the Start Restore and follow the wizard through.

It is best practice to put the tape in the library before you start the restore .. the Preview Media helps here.

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

There is no necessity for you to know a particular tape ID in advance - NetBackup knows about it instead of you.

In restore steps, when you choose a proper 6m old backup for restore, just choose menu option Actions\Preview Media which tells you (confirms you) on which tape the backup is and you can then manage its transport back to the library.

Well, to manage tapes according the dates when backups were written is an "old-fashioned" approach these days. It actually complicates tape management and increase its administration.

Regards

Michal

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

There is no necessity for you to know a particular tape ID in advance - NetBackup knows about it instead of you.

In restore steps, when you choose a proper 6m old backup for restore, just choose menu option Actions\Preview Media which tells you (confirms you) on which tape the backup is and you can then manage its transport back to the library.

Well, to manage tapes according the dates when backups were written is an "old-fashioned" approach these days. It actually complicates tape management and increase its administration.

Regards

Michal

Dany54000
Level 4

Mark, Michal

Thanks for your help.

I found how to select a date in the upper pane.

Typically I did the following steps:

1. Open the wizard
2. Source client for restore : I click on the "Search VM Clients"
3. Select "Search Virtual machines" and press NEXT
4. Choose the date and the VM to restore (here VM from August 2015)

And now that I am at the "Destination client for restores" field.

Because I do not want to replace an existing VM but only to bring-up the above VM (august 2015), when clicking on the "Browse" button I got a list of VM which are existing (see attachment).

In fact, I would like to create an empty folder and to restore the "August 2015" in the folder.

My question is : where are listed the VMs from the "Browse" button and where could I create a new folder (called "VM from August 2015 for example) ?

Many thanks for your help.

Dany

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Leave the source client the same as the destination client at that point.

When you get into the wizard then you can actually redirect it somewhere else .. you dont do it on tha screen.

Dany54000
Level 4

Mark

Please find in attachment all the step that I am following and what I need to do in order to be able to restore the August 2015 VM in a new folder (and not to cancel the current one).

I thought that it could be cleared with providing you the attachment because I got stuck.

Many thanks for your help !

Dany

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I see in your screen shots that the hostname of the client is fully qualified so that is why it is not finding any backup images.

You need to start with the source and destination client as the FQDN.

Your signature says that you are running on Windows.

Can i suggest that you open the Windows Backup Archive and Restore GUI rather than working through the Java section.

Just keep the server as the master and then add the client to the list using the fully qualified name and select that as source and destination, keeping the policy type as VMware.

Selecting the restore button will then show the backups with a timeline at the top allowing you to chosoe the date you need.

If you see files (C drive etc.) the select the Actions - Select Restore Type - Restore From Virtual Machine Backups you should see the vmdk's

You can select the machine and then Actions - Restore .. which will start the wizard

That way it will be far easier for you.

This may help you with the Java version ... but the host name is still likely to be fully qualified http://www.veritas.com/docs/000068030

Dany54000
Level 4

Thanks Mark

Before processing could you tell me where can I find the "Windows Backup Archive" and the "Restore GUI" ?

Also, instead of using them, using the tape from August 2015 into the Autoloader with the "Java section" will not be much easier ?

Please note that  I never had a Symentec Netbackup training and because I am working in a TEST environment with developers, I can't really edit many things because everything is connected.

Thanks

Dany

Marianne
Before we answer your previous question - you have selected Windows 8 as OS. Where does Win8 fit in the picture? Which OS on the master server? Which OS on the Vmware backup host? As from NBU 7.7, there is ONLY a Java GUI. Windows Admin Console was removed as from this version.

Dany54000
Level 4

Hello Marianne

I am using a "Netbackup Administration Console" version 7.6.0.1 which is running on a "Windows 8" Management computer linked to the backup server which is a "Redhat" OS.

The VM that I need to restore is a "Windows Server 2012" (it is a domain controler).

Where does Win8 fit in the picture?
Reply: it is a screenshoot that I took from Management computer.

Which OS on the master server?
Reply: Readhat

Which OS on the Vmware backup host?
Reply: Windows 2012

Did I reply to your questions ?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I would set your PC as an "additional server" in the Master Servers host properties - Server section

Then install the Windows NetBackup Admin Console (if you haven't already)

That way you can use the BAR console to do your restore with the process i described .. otheriwse follow the link i posted in my prevsious post

Either way it looks like you need to use the FQDN of the client to locate its backups .. and the destination client makes no difference as it will ignore that when using the VMware restore wizard

Marianne
Mark NBU 7.7 no longer has WAC.

Dany54000
Level 4

Ok Mark, I will your previous link first.

Can you please tell me where can I reach the "Restore GUI" ?

I guess that the "Windows Backup Archive" is an application that i can found on my Management computer but I don't know what about the "Restore GUI".

Is the "Restore GUI" an application that I can found from the "Netbackup Administration Console" ?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Earlier you said you were running the ""Netbackup Administration Console" version 7.6.0.1 which is running on a "Windows 8" Management computer"

Is that the Windows one or the Java one?

If it is the Windows one then you will also find in you programs (or is it Apps in Win 8) the "Backup, Archive and Restore" program - this is what we refer to as the BAR GUI.

It can also be accessed via a button on the middel top of the Windows Admin Console.

Dany54000
Level 4

Marianne

When you says that "NBU 7.7 no longer has WAC" do you mean that NetBackUp 7.7 no longer has Windows bAckup arChive ?

Because I am using a NBU version 7.6.0.1 and I am asking if you are telling to Mark that I am not able to use the "Windows backup archive".

Can you please confirm me if I can proceed as Mark explained ?

Sorry for this question, I'm just trying to understand.

Dany