cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore data from expired Retention Period?

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Is there a way that I can restore data that was backup a month ago, with a three weeks retention period? Or should I say, is there a way that I can restore data that has an expired retention period?

I did try using the command "bprecover" but failed.

BTW, I am using a Netbackup 5.1 MP2 installed in a Windows 2000 server...

Pls. can someone help me...

Thank you in advance...
8 REPLIES 8

Stumpr2
Level 6
The correct term for what you want to do is import. It is a two step process and it is accessable under the "catalog" part of the GUI.

or
Importing backup images from more than one piece of media from the command line
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/259827.htm

The entire process is documented in the sysadmin guideMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

patrickkuah
Level 6
Hi,

Bob is right , you should use import from the catalog GUI or using the bpimport command
bprecover is meant to recover the NetBackup catalog only.

patrick :)

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Thanks guys.

IP_Freely
Level 4
Don't be in a big hurry when you import. Reading a tape back in takes a looong, looong time.

Dave_Lloyd
Level 3
you also need to hope the tape hasn't been overwritten of course (assuming a robotic library), and that you can identify which tape you need in the first place.

add_dda
Not applicable
Hi,

You can use Active@ undelete to restore erased data. It worked great for me and never failed before.

http://www.active-undelete.com/

Vijay_Kumar_B1
Not applicable
Hi,

As per Bob Stump we need to Import the catalog backup images from the tape after that we need to extend the retention period of the backup images by using bpexpdate.

Example:

bpexpdate -backupid japet_1105198727 -d infinity ----For Changing the expiration date of Images.

In the above example you mention the retention period as per your requirement.

Thanks,
vijayb.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Yes, you may want to extend the expiration date.
When you import a tape it will automatically reset its expiration date to the length of time defined by the retention level.
For example.
If you import a tape that had a retention level 6 and the value of that retention level is 2 weeks then its new expiration date for the imported images will become todays date + 2 weeks.
If the 2 weeks is not long enough, then change the expiration to infinity and manually expire them when you are finished with the images.