cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore data to another master server.

ss_gao
Level 3

original :there is a master server & media server ,the name  is A and the OS is AIX。The client is B and the os is AIX too.

Destination:the master server & media server is C, the OS is AIX.

Now I want to restore B to C and the catalog of the C is not expired.I don't want to restore catalog from the tape.so can you help how to archive this?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

ofcourse yes..

you have 3 ways to achive this..

1) it will only work if you have good communication form the Master/media A to client C

a) check the communication of client C from Master/media A

b) add client C in one of the test policy in the Master server A

c) add the measter and media server  of A entiers in client C

d) trigger the alternate clietnt restore where source client is B and destination client is C

2) using Import

ship the tapes into the Master/media B controled libraty if the images are in  tape, it not in tape duplicate them into tape and shit

using import to create the catalog and do the restore

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43584

3) Recovery with out import

folllow the below T/N

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH28722

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RamNagalla

ofcourse yes..

you have 3 ways to achive this..

1) it will only work if you have good communication form the Master/media A to client C

a) check the communication of client C from Master/media A

b) add client C in one of the test policy in the Master server A

c) add the measter and media server  of A entiers in client C

d) trigger the alternate clietnt restore where source client is B and destination client is C

2) using Import

ship the tapes into the Master/media B controled libraty if the images are in  tape, it not in tape duplicate them into tape and shit

using import to create the catalog and do the restore

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43584

3) Recovery with out import

folllow the below T/N

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH28722

ss_gao
Level 3

Hi,Naglla,

thank you for your answer.

Because the communication from A to C is not very good,so i can not use the first solution.

Becausr the time of restoring is very shot,so i cannot accept  the time of importing catalog.

I remember that through copy the

/usr/openv/netbackup/db

/usr/openv/volmgr/database

/usr/openv/var

from A to C,and config /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf,then i can restore A and  B to C.

Do you know any way which is similar to this i have metioned above.

Thank you very much!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NO!!!
DO NOT copy ALL of  
/usr/openv/netbackup/db

/usr/openv/volmgr/database
/usr/openv/var

Please read though the 'Recovery without Import' doc in option 3 of Nagalla's post.

This options explains how to copy /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/client-name folder to the other master server.
If you can identify the 10-digit timestamp folder under client-name, it will be much quicker to just copy the relevant folder.

RamNagalla

Do not copy all.. as Marianne said...

it looks like you are trying to use recovery import.. go through the Doc in 3rd option of above post, it will expline what you need to do to get this done..

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Is there a large amount of data?

This thread has been open for 4 hours now and you may well have been able to do phase 1 and phase 2 imports by now - with decent tape drives it really does not take that long and is the cleanest way to do things without the risk of getting anything wrong

ss_gao
Level 3

I have read the 'Recovery without Import' doc.It describes the process of "recovery without import". But i still don't know how to do this step by step.Can you tell me?

Thanks!

Marianne
Level 6

Have you seen this part of my previous post?

This options explains how to copy /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/client-name folder to the other master server.
If you can identify the 10-digit timestamp folder under client-name, it will be much quicker to just copy the relevant folder.

*** EDIT ***

Add FORCE_RESTORE... entry (or Media Host Override) on destination Master to allow media server at destination site to perform the restore.
All of this info can be found in the documentation.

Here is the short, 3-page version of the Recovery without Import doc.

ss_gao
Level 3

Where is the options which explains how to copy /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/client-name folder to the other master server.Sorry i don't find out.

And i don't know clearly about  the meaning of " If you can identify the 10-digit timestamp folder under client-name, it will be much quicker to just copy the relevant folder“

Marianne
Level 6

Have you opened the pdf attached to my previous post?

See point 5 on pages 3.

The 10-digit folder names can be seen when you list the contents of the client image folder. NBU creates a new folder every 1 million seconds. Backup images are stored in these 'timestamp' folders. 

You can find the 'normal' timestamp for these folders with this command:

bpdbm -ctime <10-digit-number>

So, if you know when backup was taken, you only have to copy the relevant 10-digit folder.

Hope this helps.