Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore to an alternate client

unixlife
Level 4
Partner

Hello,

I am trying to restore to an alternate client in NB7.5. Both Server and client are Solaris 10 (SPARC) but the restore is going to source client (which is the server1 itself)  In BAR I chose source client as server1 and dest client as client1.  Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU client List is taken from Policy database.

Always a good idea to create a small test policy to backup something like /var/adm just as a test to see if all comms are fine.

It should also work if you simply type in the name of the destination client.

Just verify that comms (port connection and forward/reverse hostname lookup is working fine).

Do yourself a favour - create that test policy and kick it off manually. As long as there is no backup window, no backups will try to run automatically.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

& it's not working?

Marianne
Level 6

Please show us Master server's bp.conf.

If CLIENT_NAME in master's bp.conf has been changed to client1, this is a sure way of restoring the data to the master.

CLIENT_NAME must always be the same as local hostname, unless you want to perform a restore back to the master. This is another way of performing an alternate restore.

To troubleshoot restores, please ensure that bprd log folder exists on the master in /usr/openv/netbackup.
If not, create folder and restart NBU. Then retry restore.

Look for the following section in bprd log:

.... <2> restorefiles:    browse_client =
.... <2> restorefiles:    requesting_client =
.... <2> restorefiles:    destination_client =
.... <2> restorefiles:    requesting_client_hostname =
.... <2> restorefiles:    destination_client_hostname =

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are you runnign the BAR gui from the client.  By default, clients can only restore to themselves.

IF you are running it from the server, this should wrok.

If you want to run the restore from the client - create (on master)

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/altnames/No.Restrictions

(remove then finished, as it is a security risk)

If you want to run the restore from the client, but only one to allow the one client the ability to do this :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO33532

Martin

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

it's NBU Nature it does not populate or fetch client list from EMM. Instead rely on backup admin (us to edit it manually ) hence Click on Edit Client List and type in name EXACTLY what you specified while creating policy (i.e. if FQDN in CAPS or shortname.. It's case sensitive). and try if it helps. With windows many times i've seen backup admin wodnering what went wrong (end up with just case insensitive)

Try if it helps

unixlife
Level 4
Partner

Thanks for your replies..

I tried all the work arounds, but still it's going to the server itself, which is the MASTER and Media Server. Restarted NB  on both server and client by /etc/init.d/netbackup stop and start.

server /etc/hosts file

127.0.0.1       localhost
::1     localhost

x.x.0.100    ajva5000        ajva5000.xyz.com      loghost
x.x.0.9      AJVASUN       

server bp.conf file

>more /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf
SERVER = ajva5000
SERVER = ajva5000.xyz.com
SERVER = 123
SERVER = 345
SERVER = 234
SERVER = 4321
CLIENT_NAME = ajva5000
CLIENT_NAME = AJVASUN
CONNECT_OPTIONS = localhost 1 0 2
USE_VXSS = PROHIBITED
VXSS_SERVICE_TYPE = INTEGRITYANDCONFIDENTIALITY
EMMSERVER = ajva5000
HOST_CACHE_TTL = 3600
VXDBMS_NB_DATA = /usr/openv/db/data
SPS_REDIRECT_ALLOWED =
SPS_REDIRECT_ALLOWED =
SPS_REDIRECT_ALLOWED =
USEMAIL =
SERVER_SENDS_MAIL = YES
DO_NOT_RESET_FILE_ACCESS_TIME

client /etc/hosts file

#
# Internet host table
#
::1     localhost
127.0.0.1       localhost
x.x.0.9      AJVASUN  loghost
x.x.0.100  ajva5000

client bp.conf

SERVER = ajva5000
CLIENT_NAME = AJVASUN
CONNECT_OPTIONS = localhost 0 0 2
DO_NOT_RESET_FILE_ACCESS_TIME = YES
KEEP_LOGS_DAYS = 7

Any clue? please help...

Oddy
Level 5
Employee

I had a simliar issue that was resolved by creating the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/altnames/No.Restrictions file on the master server to allow to do an alternate restore. I can see that is already suggested but worth while checking again.

Rgds

Oddy

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
CLIENT_NAME = clientname

This entry should be listed only once in the bp.conf file. If more than one entry appears, NetBackup observes only the last CLIENT_NAME entry. The client name in a policy that backs up the client should match the client name that is specified with CLIENT_NAME.

The bp.conf of the master server does not require the addition of other clients, other than the master server as CLIENT_NAME = master server name.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO66866

***EDIT*** Waaaay too slow!

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, this line should not be in the master servers bp.conf

CLIENT_NAME = AJVASUN

The only 'CLIENT_NAME' in this file, should be the masters.

(It might not fix the issue, but shouoldn't be there  ...)

Are you running the restore from the master ?

As marianne suggested, bprd log wouold be useful.

Martin

Marianne
Level 6

Remove ALL other CLIENT_NAME entries in master's bp.conf except the entry for itself:

CLIENT_NAME = ajva5000
CLIENT_NAME = AJVASUN

You are telling NBU to redirect the restore to the master with additional CLIENT_NAME entries.

See the following in Admin Guide 1 about CLIENT_NAME:

Add CLIENT_NAME to the /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file or to the
$HOME/bp.conf file in the following format:
CLIENT_NAME = clientname
This entry should be listed only once in the bp.conf file. If more than one entry
appears, NetBackup observes only the last CLIENT_NAME entry. The client name in
a policy that backs up the client should match the client name that is specified with
CLIENT_NAME.
Note: Using a IPv6 address as a client name in a policy can cause backups to fail.
Specify a hostname instead of an IPv6 address.
The bp.conf of the master server does not require the addition of other clients,
other than the master server as CLIENT_NAME = master server name. The name
is added by default.
During a restore, the default is to restore to the client that is named in the policy that
was used for the backup. For an alternate client restore, indicate the name of the
alternate client in the Backup, Archive, and Restore user interface. (Within the user
interface, the Destinationclientforrestores field is located in the SpecifyNetBackup
Machines and Policy Type dialog box.)
To use the bprestore command, a parameter can be given to bprestore to indicate
the destination client.
See “About client-redirected restores” on page 942.
The client installation procedures automatically set CLIENT_NAME to the value that
is specified in ftp_to_client command or install_client command in the
installation scripts.
If the value is not in any bp.conf file, NetBackup uses the value that the
gethostname() library function returns.
See “Client Name properties” on page 84.

Marianne
Level 6

OK - now we can all see what the problem is.

I had a feeling that this was causing the problem on 17 May:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-restore-alternate-client#comment-7142151

unixlife
Level 4
Partner

Thanks for your help..

After removing the line from master server;

CLIENT_NAME = AJVASUN

I can not see the client AJVASUN in BAR GUI.  I am running the restore from MASTER server. Also added the empty file /usr/openv/netbackup/db/altnames/No.Restrictions, then restarted NB  by /etc/init.d/netbackup sto & start.  

Directory db was not there but created. I can see the client in Host properties-->client and able to browse it to see all AJVASUN properties. BTW, AJVASUN is not part any NB policies. I just need to restore the backup which I have taken from Master server to this client AJVASUN.

Any clue?

Marianne
Level 6

NBU client List is taken from Policy database.

Always a good idea to create a small test policy to backup something like /var/adm just as a test to see if all comms are fine.

It should also work if you simply type in the name of the destination client.

Just verify that comms (port connection and forward/reverse hostname lookup is working fine).

Do yourself a favour - create that test policy and kick it off manually. As long as there is no backup window, no backups will try to run automatically.

unixlife
Level 4
Partner

Thanks for your help..

It worked! I had to remove the client name from servers' bp.conf and type the client name in the "destination client for restore"  of BAR GUI. I was expecting the client name appear in the list as it appears in host properties --> client list.

Thanks again for Marianne, Andy, oddie and mph999