cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set & configure Netbackup for EV closed partition to tape for retrievable permanent archival solution ?

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi All,

Does anyone here know if it is possible to write off all of the closed EV 9 partition to tape with Netbackup 7.6 so that it can be retrieved later on with EV 10 ?

i wanted to know if that approach is feasible because I'm in the process of decommisioning the Old EV 9 32 bit windows VM and the SQL 2005 box.

and started using EV 10 with SQL Server 2012.

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You cannot quite do that ... the only option is to set it to do collections (where it cabs the files for you) and then also set the secondary migration using the Symantec NetBackup option.

This cabs up as much as it can (according to your settings) into cab files and then migrates these cab file to NetBackup using a DataStore Policy and DataStore volume pool - all cab files get written to tapes within NetBackup

This shifts most of your data from EV into NetBackup and if called for mounts the tape a reads it back to EV

Doesn't move it all but i guess it is what you are looking for?

Old thread but gives the idea: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-and-enterprise-vault-integration

View solution in original post

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Yes - EV does collections on the partition (a partition setting) which pops those tiny little dvs files into more manageable cab file and once they reach the appropriate age they get moved off to tape with NetBackup

If a user recalls a message EV makes the call to NetBackup which mounts the tape, reads it and provides the message to the user.

I have always felt that it needs to be managed carefully - make sure the NBU admins understand and dont go using the DataStore tapes for anything .. or eject them .. possible bettery to use a dedicated library and set of tapes for it?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If the tape wasn't available they will get a timeout error - if it is available it will just say "please wait" until it is recalled

5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You cannot quite do that ... the only option is to set it to do collections (where it cabs the files for you) and then also set the secondary migration using the Symantec NetBackup option.

This cabs up as much as it can (according to your settings) into cab files and then migrates these cab file to NetBackup using a DataStore Policy and DataStore volume pool - all cab files get written to tapes within NetBackup

This shifts most of your data from EV into NetBackup and if called for mounts the tape a reads it back to EV

Doesn't move it all but i guess it is what you are looking for?

Old thread but gives the idea: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-and-enterprise-vault-integration

John_Santana
Level 6

many thanks Mark,

So in this case the closed VaultStore must be converted one way using Collections to create / store it as .CAB file so that I can restore it from the tape when the user tryingto retrieve the old archived emails from Outlook ?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Yes - EV does collections on the partition (a partition setting) which pops those tiny little dvs files into more manageable cab file and once they reach the appropriate age they get moved off to tape with NetBackup

If a user recalls a message EV makes the call to NetBackup which mounts the tape, reads it and provides the message to the user.

I have always felt that it needs to be managed carefully - make sure the NBU admins understand and dont go using the DataStore tapes for anything .. or eject them .. possible bettery to use a dedicated library and set of tapes for it?

John_Santana
Level 6

Ah I see, do when the user tried to recall the data, they will be seeing an error and notify us about the data to be retrieved ?

after the old EV 9.0 archived data is restored from the tape, the user can retry the action to retrieve the archived item successfully.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If the tape wasn't available they will get a timeout error - if it is available it will just say "please wait" until it is recalled