cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set overwrite protection period in NetBackup 8.1

ab67
Level 3

Hi Guy,

Please help me how to configure overwrite protection period feature in Netbackup 8.1 ?

I cann't see it in console management

Thanks you !!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@ab67 wrote:

Week 1 - The Full backup is located to Tape 1 after that the Tape 1 will be locked to prevent the other policy overwrite to it

It's very helpfull to help me check which backup image resides in which tape

Once again - NetBackup does not work like that. 
NetBackup works stricktly according to Retention Level and will merely append to same tape.  
A tape can only be overwritten when all images written on the tape have expired. 

There is no need to manually keep track of where images reside. NetBackup does a very good job doing that.
When you want to restore, simply select the client and the date that you want to restore from and select files/folders. 
NBU will display the media id needed for restore. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne

Are you referring to the Backup Exec 'overwrite protection' feature associated with tape media?

NBU does not work like that. 
NBU uses the retention level that is selected in Policy Schedules.
A tape can be appended to as long as all relevant parameters are the same (e.g. volume pool and retention level).
NBU will allow tape to be overwritten when all images on a tape has expired.

You can see when the last image on a tape will expire with this command:
bpmedialist -m <media-id>

Some other useful info in this blog: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Recovery-Community-Blog/Understanding-how-NetBackup-writes-to-a-ta...

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

Netbackup will not overwrite any tape till data will expire ...so no need to set "overwrite protection "

I mean I want the backup image is located to consecutive tape. 
Example :

Week 1 - The Full backup is located to Tape 1 after that the Tape 1 will be locked to prevent the other policy overwrite to it

Week 2 - The Full backup is located to Tape 2 after that the Tape 2 will be locked to prevent the other policy overwrite to í

Thanks !

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

NetBackup is not really designed to work like that - the idea is you give it a load of tapes (or disk space) and let it get on with it ...

However, if you wish to 'lock' a tape, simply right click the tape in the GUI, and choose 'suspend'.

The images on a particular media can be seen with bpimmedia command.

Marianne

@ab67 wrote:

Once again - NetBackup does not work like that. 
NetBackup works stricktly according to Retention Level and will merely append to same tape.  
A tape can only be overwritten when all images written on the tape have expired. 

There is no need to manually keep track of where images reside. NetBackup does a very good job doing that.
When you want to restore, simply select the client and the date that you want to restore from and select files/folders. 
NBU will display the media id needed for restore. 

Many thank ! I got it ^_^