cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to take Linux System State backup

Anandha_Kannan_
Level 4

Hi,

I want to backup system state of Linux client. Is it possible? How to configure policy? which policy type i have to select?

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Linux does not have a system state. Best protection is to have ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES in the Backup Selection. You can add BMR to the mix for complete peace of mind.

Linette_V
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Linux doesn't really have a 'System State' that's more of a Windows term.  I'm presuming you want to backup your Linux OS, so you can completely restore it?  In which case you should select a 'standard' policy and back up:

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

If when you say System State you mean the OS, but not the user info, then you'd probably want to exclude the home directories (making sure you do back them up in another policy).

I hope that helps, but if not, please let us know what the situation is, and more details on what you are hoping to achieve with this backup.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

For BMR Linux recoveries, the usual file systems needed are /boot,  /etc and /usr. Naturally that will include the root (/) file system as well.

Do an "fdisk -lu" of the system disk (as an example /dev/sda) to see the file system partitioning. You can specify the individual partition mount points from that data, If you have non-system data file systems you can exckude them if you so desire.

The use of the directive "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES" will always suffice as a single entry. 

If you desire to only backup and recover the OS portion of a Linux Server usinf BMR, you can filter out the non-system disk information from the BMR configuration file by creating a special touch file on the client. The full file path and name is:

/usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/client/data/diskImport.list

The file contents should be one line entries of those disks that you want BMR to interogate and report only. If the OS files are only installed on a single drive, have a line that shows the hardware device path of the disk. For an example, use the device path "/dev/sda" if it is the hardware device path of the OS disk. The device paths are OS and OEM vendor specific.  Use the command "fdisk -lu" to display them.