cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to take volumes out of volume pool

mubarack_s
Level 6
Hi,

I need to assign a volume in a exiting volume pool to new volume pool. It have some data's in it.How can I unmount that volume and assign it to new volume pool.Data's are not that much important.And I want to know how to erase the data's in the volume.can any one help me on this.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

Like you said, if you don't mind losing data on the tape, run the command "without" the -justmedia option.

The options "-justmedia" or "-justimage" are only for troubleshooting purpose and they should not be used in normal operations as partially expiring records in individual database (image/EMM) may cause catalog inconsistencies.

Abe

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Stumpr2
Level 6
NetBackup by default will not allow you to change an assigned media's volume pool. It must be unassigned before you can move it to another pool.
Please see this technote:

How to unassign media in NetBackup 6.0
http://support.veritas.com/docs/289893

SOLUTION:

From the following directory:

UNIX:  /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd

WINDOWS:  <Netbackup Install Directory>\Netbackup\bin\admincmd

Issue the following command:

bpexpdate -m <mediaid> -d 0 -host <media server> -justmedia
This will unassign the media and make it available for new backups.

Also once the media is unassigned you can then move it into another pool.

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

Like you said, if you don't mind losing data on the tape, run the command "without" the -justmedia option.

The options "-justmedia" or "-justimage" are only for troubleshooting purpose and they should not be used in normal operations as partially expiring records in individual database (image/EMM) may cause catalog inconsistencies.

Abe

mubarack_s
Level 6
Thank you budy. Let me check this and revert back ...