cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use LTO 5 and LTO 6 Drives simultaneously

Kasra_Hashemi
Level 5

Hi everybody ,

we have one HP MSL 8096 which has two LTO 5 Drives and recently  we added two LTO 6 drives to this library .I have created new storage unit and edited my policies to use these LTO 6 drives ( which added to new storage unit )  but none of my policies use this storage unit.

all of our tapes are LTO 5 and I know that LTO 6 drives can read and write on LTO 5 tapes.

so my issue is , I can not use my LTO 6 drives.

Thanks .

Kasra Hashemi.

Netdigest
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You have both hcart3 and hcarr2 drives, only hcart3 STU in STU-group, and only hcart2 tapes.
hcart2 tapes cannot be used in hcart3 STU.

Make EVERYTHING hcart2.
Drives, STU, media (already there). It will work.

Only change drives to hcart3 when you have LTO6 tapes and have added them as hcart3 along with hcart3 STU.

View solution in original post

Marianne

Oh, you only showed us STU group config, not individual Storage Units ('bpstulist -L' will be better than screenshots.)

Anyway, until you have LTO6 tapes (hcart3), forget about hcart3 drives and STU. Use everything as hcart2.

Remember to increase the amount of drives in hcart2 STU.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Deeps
Level 6

With what error jobs are failing for the polocies that are configured with new STU (LTO6)  ?

DeepS

RB-Infinitely
Level 4

You have to take note of the drive type of the new storage unit (HCART, HCART2, etc). If it is not the same as the LTO5 drive type, it will not be used as your media would also be of a different media type (HCART, HCART2, etc).

@Deepsthe error is : " unable to allocate new media for backup , storage unit has none available (96) "

but we have enough tapes in scratch pool.

thanks for reply

Netdigest

@RB-Infinitelymy LTO6 Drives are HCART3 and LTO5 Drives are HCART2

I have changed the drive type , but my policies didn't work.

Thanks for reply.

Netdigest

Marianne

Can you confirm that you changed the LTO6 drive type to match the LTO5's (hcart2)?

If so, please explain what " my policies didn't work " means? 

Did you increase the number of drives in the Storage Unit config?

OK so does your media list show HCART3 media available in the Robot? Or are all your media HCART2?

Marianne

@Kasra_Hashemi

To troubleshoot status 96:

Please check density of ALL components needed for backup:

1. Media in Scratch pool - what is the density? and which location? (Robot number # or NONE?)
  2. Drive type/density - what density (after you have changed it)?
  3. Storage Unit - what is the density? And does robot number in STU config match the robot number where the drives and tapes are?

In NBU, ALL densities MUST match. Anything different will cause status 96.

@Marianne

Can you confirm that you changed the LTO6 drive type to match the LTO5's (hcart2)?

yes , I changed the LTO6  to HCART2 , But nothing happend. so I changed it back to HCART3.

explain what " my policies didn't work " means? 

I meant that after changing Drive type nothing happend and I got same error.

Did you increase the number of drives in the Storage Unit config?

Yes , I did.

Netdigest

@RB-Infinitely

does your media list show HCART3 media available in the Robot? Or are all your media HCART2?

All media are HCART2 , please take a look at the picture attached.

thanks for your reply.

Netdigest

Marianne
You have both hcart3 and hcarr2 drives, only hcart3 STU in STU-group, and only hcart2 tapes.
hcart2 tapes cannot be used in hcart3 STU.

Make EVERYTHING hcart2.
Drives, STU, media (already there). It will work.

Only change drives to hcart3 when you have LTO6 tapes and have added them as hcart3 along with hcart3 STU.

@Marianne

Thanks for helping me, I've just changed my HCART3 Drives to HCART2 , but I have some policies running , and as you know changing drive types needs the services to be restarted , so I will inform you as soon as my jobs finish.

Thanks So much for such great availability and patiency.

Kasra

Netdigest

Marianne

Oh, you only showed us STU group config, not individual Storage Units ('bpstulist -L' will be better than screenshots.)

Anyway, until you have LTO6 tapes (hcart3), forget about hcart3 drives and STU. Use everything as hcart2.

Remember to increase the amount of drives in hcart2 STU.