cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use specific media server for backup in Netbackup 7.1

Stiva
Level 4

Hi All,

How to use specific media server for backup in Netbackup.

We have 4 media servers. the one which is in use now is not reachable. I tried to change media server but by default it is taking default one.

Can anyone help me how to force another media server to use for backup?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I am guessing that you are using a Storage Unit Group and the "bad" media server is first in the list.

Just remove that media server from the group.

If on the other hand the policies use "Any Available" then in the Admin Console go to the Devcies - Media Servers and right click the "bad" media server and select "deactivate" to prevent it being used.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

It should be relative simple - just change the storage unit in the policy to a storage unit owned by a working media server.

What is the destination storage unit right now - SSO, disk, MSDP ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please help us to get a better understanding of your issue.

Information requested by Nicolai will help as well as output of these commands:

bpstulist -L -g

bppllist <policy-name> -U

(Commands are in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I am guessing that you are using a Storage Unit Group and the "bad" media server is first in the list.

Just remove that media server from the group.

If on the other hand the policies use "Any Available" then in the Admin Console go to the Devcies - Media Servers and right click the "bad" media server and select "deactivate" to prevent it being used.

watsons
Level 6

In storage unit group, you can also choose the "storage unit selection" based on your preference:

■ Prioritized. Choose the first storage unit in the list that is not busy, down, or out of media.
■ Failover. Choose the first storage unit in the list that is not down or out of media.
■ Round Robin. Choose the least recently selected storage unit in the list.
■ Media server load balancing. Choose a storage unit based on a capacity-managed approach.

Stiva
Level 4

Thank you all for reply.

All the suggetions are usefull. smiley

@Mark : Yes, There was a bad media server and my selection was Storage unit group. So at the time of backup it was picking up same media server. I changed the Storage Unit. Now it's working fine.