cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use the same tape until it get full

Symontec
Level 5

Hi,

We have NBU 6.0, we are using SCRATCH pool to manage the media assignments. I have notice that one policy backing up several servers (clients), with max jobs per client set to 1 in order to back one server up at a time, starts and ask for a tape (lto 3) from SCRATCH, after a couple of clients end backing up the job ask for a new tape, but the last tape is still not full, no even 20GBs have been writen to it.

What can I do to keep using the same tape until it reach the max size (full).

Excuse my bad english.
Regards and Thanks,
SAF
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rjrumfelt
Level 6
setting the "Maximum number of partially full media" attribute to 1.

This is located under the volume pool properties - just right click on the volume pool and click "change" and you will see the option.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a good reference topic titled  How NetBackup Selects Media in the NBU 6.x Administration Guide Volume II (Windows and Unix)
Worth reading in addition to your query.

Guides here:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290282.htm

rjrumfelt
Level 6
setting the "Maximum number of partially full media" attribute to 1.

This is located under the volume pool properties - just right click on the volume pool and click "change" and you will see the option.

Symontec
Level 5

Stuart,

Good tip, I read it but it seems to be ok for NBU to use the same media, but it still doing the oposite. Thanks for your suggestion.

Rj,

I will check this and let you know. Thanks too.

Regards,
SAF

jim_dalton
Level 6

set the number of part full media for the pool to be 1 BUT dont use the Scratch pool in your policy, create yourself a new pool, set max part full to be 1, then use that new pool for your policy.

Works a treat.

Your new pool will get media out of the scratch pool and take ownership and your  issue will be resolved.

Tim

Symontec
Level 5

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the advice. But, dont worry, Im not using SCRATCH in the policy, we have Volume pools for differents kind of data and we are using SCRATCH pool to manage the media assignments.

I didnt have time to try the "Maximum number of partially full media" attribute to 1, but as soon as I do it I will let you guys know.

Regards,
SAF