cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V 2012 R2 backups failing with 4201 in NB 7.6.0.3

admin_guy88
Level 2

Hi All,

I have been working recently to try and setup a hyper-v backup policy within Netbackup 7.6.0.3.  but jobs have been failing with 4201 "snapshot services: snapshot target analysis failed: provider-private error.

Our envrionment is configured at below

Master/ Media server running Windows Server 2012 with NB 7.6.0.3 installed

Hyper-V hosts are Windows Server 2012 R2 with NB 2012 R2 client installed (in a failover cluster)

Storage is provided to the Hyper-V hosts over SMB 3 connecting to a failover cluster of scale out fileservers.

detailed status of the failed job is attached.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kim_B
Level 2

Sorry the delayed answer.

The storage are luns from our emc san attached to the hyper-V cluster.

If you take a look on the host hosting the VM, you can find a lot of log information in Event viewer + Application and Services Logs + Microsoft + Hyper-V-VMMS + Admin logs. other information can be found in the other Hyper-V-* logs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

admin_guy88
Level 2

I should add that I had opened a case with NB support for this issue but they examined the logs and pointed to the issue being the error being logged within the Hyper-V hosts event log which unfortunately is not very descriptive and does not give me much to go on.  I have attached a screenshot of the error in the Application log of the hyper-v host.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So the  provider-private error that is mentioned, might be a VSS error? Have you opened a case with Microsoft to see what that error in Hyper-V is? 

DutchDooley
Not applicable

I am having the same issue. It seems that Microsoft has made some small changes to how VSS writes and it is throwing NBU out of whack with certain VMs. I cannot pinpoint what it is about certain VMs that makes Hyper-V cause NBU to throw 4201 and 156 errors for VM snapshots. Anyone with insight please post to the forum. Thanks!!

Kim_B
Level 2

Hi,

I had a simular problem and raised a support case at MicroSoft support.

The solution was simple, I just had to add a scsi device to the VM.

The involving VM's was running Windows 2008 R2 and no scssi device was defined.

Else try

• Upgraded the clients (hyperV hosts  to 7.604.
• Patched the Hyper-V nodes with recent MicroSoft Patches
• Try to rewrite the Hyper-V policies
• Restart VM’s
• Restart Hyper-V nodes.
• Make sure that the shadows of each drive are stored on the same drive.
• Make sure that we have latest integration services installed on the VM.
• Make sure that all the VSS writers are in stable state on the Hyper-V node as well as on the VM using the  command: vssadmin list writers
• Make sure that we have at least 20% free space on each drive of VM
• Make sure that the shadows of each drive are stored on the same drive(example: Shadows of C drive should be stored on C drive itself) using the below command: vssuirun

Kim_B
Level 2

I called Microsoft and my problem was solved:

The solution was simple I had to add an SCSI device, if only IDE controler was defined, because that during call to HyperV backup funktion a temp .iso device will be used.

Here is some other actions carried out trying to solve the problem:

• Upgraded the clients to 7.604.
• Patched the Hyper-V nodes with recent MicroSoft Patches (See below)
• Tried to rewrite Hyper-V policies
• Restarted VM’s
• Restarted Hyper-V nodes.
• Maked sure that the shadows of each drive are stored on the same drive.
• Maked sure that we have latest integration services installed on the VM.
• Maked sure that all the VSS writers are in stable state on the Hyper-V node as well as on the VM using the below command: vssadmin list writers
• Maked sure that we have at least 20% free space on each drive of VM
• Maked sure that the shadows of each drive are stored on the same drive(example: Shadows of C drive should be stored on C drive itself) using the below command: vssuirun

admin_guy88
Level 2

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the reply.  I tried adding a vhdx to a scsi controller on a virtual machine but I still get the same error.

I also tried

upgrading Master and Media server to 7.6.0.4

ugrading Hyper-v hosts to NB client 7.6.04

updating integration services on vm.

updating hyper-v hosts with latest MS patches.

ensuring free space on drives.

checking VSS writers of hyper-v hosts and vm.

checked shadows of drive are configured to itself.

restarted Hyper-V hosts and vm's.

I am curious is your shared storage coming from scale out file servers and you are accessing it over SMB 3.0 or is it traditional storage provisioned directly to the hyper-v hosts?

Kim_B
Level 2

Sorry the delayed answer.

The storage are luns from our emc san attached to the hyper-V cluster.

If you take a look on the host hosting the VM, you can find a lot of log information in Event viewer + Application and Services Logs + Microsoft + Hyper-V-VMMS + Admin logs. other information can be found in the other Hyper-V-* logs.