cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V Restore using existed Full and Incremental

sudhakarkumar
Level 4

We have one policy for Hyper-v backup in which we have two different schedules for Full, Incremental Backup's.

and the backup is running fine from the last few months.

But when I tried to restore yesterday it is showing only list of Full backups in the available backup list.

What about my Incremental Backup data???

I am using policy type as Hyper-V and restore type as Virtual machine backup.

can anybody help me.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Under 'Restore Type' there are a couple of options.
For Hyper-V you can choose between:

• Normal Backups: This option is used to view and restore individual files.
    Here you should see Full and Incr backups
  • Virtual Machine Backup: This option is used to restore the entire virtual machine.
    Here you will only see Full backups.

sudhakarkumar
Level 4

Then if I want to resore Then I have to restore Full+ All increments(using Normal backup).

If suppose we have a database in the local drives of that particular Hyper-v Machine then we are bale to restore using this Full+Incr.???

or we need to take a seperate database level backup???

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello,

Hyper-V policy type VM backups do not support the merged full+incr VM restore that VMware supports so a full Hyper-V VM restore, and then a "client" based file level restore from the incremental backup needs to be done.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

If you have a database inside the VM, you should use the relevant database agent/tool for backup of the database to make sure it's backup is consistent

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue