cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V backup

Michael_Tham
Level 4
Hi guys, can I verify if the following is correct to perform a Hyper-V snapshot backup?

1) License required: Enterprise Client
2) Software required on Hyper-V host server: NBU Media Server
3) Policy type: FlashBackup-Windows

I tried configurating a policy for my hyper-v server, but receive a 'cannot connect on socket(25)' error while validating hyper-v machine name.

Any idea or advise please?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

What about credentials? Did you checked them?

Michael_Tham
Level 4
Where can I check the 'credentials' which you are referring to?

On the HyperV host server, do I really need to install the 'Media Server', or is 'Client' software able to do the job?

Michael_Tham
Level 4
I tried on another Win2008 Hyper-V server, same error "validate hyper-v machine name failed" when configuring a new 'FlashBackup-Windows' policy.

What am I missing here??

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
nbu services should have admin rights on the hyper-v box.

very important thing to check that all your VM have corresponding DNS (forward and reverse lookup zones) entries configured. You should have entry for each vm, doesn't matter if you suppose to back it up or you don't.

NBU uses FQDN by default.

Michael_Tham
Level 4
I managed to get it working, it was the VSXX access control causing authenication handshake failure.

I have to disable VSXX to get it working.

Does anyone know the correct configuration for VSXX for Hyper-V backup?

Brian_Smith1
Level 4
Employee
Sorry, but I'm unfamiliar with the "VSXX" term.  Is a NetBackup setting, or a Windows setting, or a Hyper-V setting, etc?  Where does this setting reside?

Also, regarding #2, "Must be a media server": I believe the minimum requirement is that the NetBackup Windows client be installed.  Local media server is optional; remote media server is also supported.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified