cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I deleted tape drive configuration 'QUANTUM ULTRIUM 4 2170' in netbackup, how can regenerate it?

GEDEN
Level 3

Hi,

I have Netbackup 7.1 in windows 2008 R2 and DELL PV 124/ (LT04-120)

I deleted tape drive configuration 'QUANTUM ULTRIUM 4 2170' in netbackup, how can I regenerate it?

Originally had problem 'All compatible drive paths are down but media is available(2009)' and other errors so I decided to recreate values for robot and drive in devices. I was successful with robot but not in drive please help

Regards,

Gil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I don't seee any tape drives ?

Therefore, and I presume there should be some on this server, you need to 100% forget NBU and find out why the OS is not talking to the drives correctly.

You could start withe a power cycle of everything (server, drives, enable/ disable san ports).

Check device wizard, delete anything there, check for ghost devices then reboot media server.

If nothing after that, I suspect you have a san issue, which could be anything from the switch to the HBA.

As I mentioned, at this point forget NBU, you will never solve the issue if you keep looking in NBU (not that you have ...) .

As I always mention, scan is not really a NBU command, it only sends scsi commands to what the OS sees, if no response then you have to get that working before NBU has any chance.

FYI - the reason your drives went down, is because the OS has lost sight of the drives.

Martin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You run the device wizard:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125956

You need to select both the media server and the robot control host at the same time, if it is the same server then of course you will only select the one server.

First however, run this command on the media server that has the drives:

<install path>\veritas\volmgr\bin\scan

This will display information for each device found, approx one screen full for each - do you see all the drives, if yes, then the device wizard should work.  If they are not all listed, then you have an operating system issue, between the OS and the devices.

scan simply sends a scsi inquiry command to each device found by the OS, so if there are devices missing, it is nothing to do with NBU, and the troubleshooting is between the OS and device.

Martin

GEDEN
Level 3

This is the output for scan

C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\bin>scan
*********************** SDT_TAPE    ************************
*********************** SDT_CHANGER ************************
------------------------------------------------------------
Device Name  : "Changer0"
Passthru Name: "Changer0"
Volume Header: ""
Port: 2; Bus: 0; Target: 0; LUN: 1
Inquiry    : "DELL    PV-124T         0063"
Vendor ID  : "DELL    "
Product ID : "PV-124T         "
Product Rev: "0063"
Serial Number: "CK9FCS0159"
WWN          : ""
WWN Id Type  : 0
Device Identifier: "DELL    PV-124T         CK9FCS0159"
Device Type    : SDT_CHANGER
NetBackup Robot Type: 8
Removable      : Yes
Device Supports: SCSI-2
Number of Drives : 1
Number of Slots  : 16
Number of Media Access Ports: 0
Drive 1 Serial Number      : "JN0918AMJ50280"
Flags : 0x0
Reason: 0x0

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I don't seee any tape drives ?

Therefore, and I presume there should be some on this server, you need to 100% forget NBU and find out why the OS is not talking to the drives correctly.

You could start withe a power cycle of everything (server, drives, enable/ disable san ports).

Check device wizard, delete anything there, check for ghost devices then reboot media server.

If nothing after that, I suspect you have a san issue, which could be anything from the switch to the HBA.

As I mentioned, at this point forget NBU, you will never solve the issue if you keep looking in NBU (not that you have ...) .

As I always mention, scan is not really a NBU command, it only sends scsi commands to what the OS sees, if no response then you have to get that working before NBU has any chance.

FYI - the reason your drives went down, is because the OS has lost sight of the drives.

Martin