cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I didnt find any option in bprestore command to select/deselect cross mount points.

MG11
Level 4

Hi,

I am trying to perform restore operation through CLI.
I found all the other option, but i didnt find option for selecting/de-selecting cross mount points.

Can anyone help me on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Had raised a support case and support eng. confirmed that as of now ( Till NB 8.0 ) there is no option in bprestore CLI command to select "Restore w/o Crossing mount point option" 

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

AFAIR you can still use:

bprestore -f /tmp/filelist_to_restore

in /tmp/filelist_to_restore you can use ! to exclude folder content:

/movies/art-house
!/movies/comedies

Thanks, Mike for the reply.

We thought of this but its quite complex, as we have many different mount points present.

Is there any other way to do this?

Marianne
There is simply no way to tell a restore to cross mount point or not to. Not from the GUI and not from cmd. 'Cross mount points ' is only an option at backup time.

If anything was backed up from non-root filesystem or mount point, then it is up to the server owner to provision the same mount point or else create symbolic links that resembles the original mount before starting the restore.

If original mount points (or symlinks) do not exist at the time of restore, then root will simply fill up.

NBU catalogs simply contains full path to original data. There is nothing that indicates separate filesystem.

Hi Mariane,

Thanks for response

In GUI during restore, we have option "  [ ] Restore directories without crossing mount points ".
So in manual procedure we are ticking this box i.e restore w/o crossing mount points and then triggering the restore.
Now we are automating our restore procedure so we wanted to know if there is any option using which the same thing can be achieved. We checked bprestore help page  but there was nothing related to this.

Marianne

I need to apologise - I haven't looked at a restore GUI in a long time. 
That must've been added in some recent version.

To be honest, I have no idea why anyone would want to restore without crossing mount points.

Not crossing mount points means everything will be restored to / or top-level FS only.

Being a Unix admin in a previous life, I have simply seen too many root filesystems filling up when a large FS mountpoint did not exist at time of restore.

Try this: 
Increase general logging level to 5 on the master or server where you restore from. 
Create bprestore log folder.
Start the restore with  "  [ ] Restore directories without crossing mount points " option selected.

Check bprestore log file to see how this option is interpreted.

Remember to lower logging level again!

Hi,

I was just exploring the option while checking the user ops logs if found that.
when we are ticking  "  [ X ] Restore directories without crossing mount points " option selected
Below command is executed

bprestore -H -O -S <server> -D <Destination> -C <server detail> -X -s 1498294800 -e 14

but -O option is not present in the man page of bprestore command.

Can anyone confirm in such cases can these commands be used.

And also if we will get NetBackup support if we face any issue with restore when using option which are not officially listed in man page but is there in the background.

Hi,

Had raised a support case and support eng. confirmed that as of now ( Till NB 8.0 ) there is no option in bprestore CLI command to select "Restore w/o Crossing mount point option" 

Thanks