cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have just successfully imported an image to my new master server but what now?

Seth_Dickerson
Level 3

I have just imported a fresh image to my new master server but see no difference in my media ID's and volume pools.  I have inventoried the robot but that did not good either.  What is my next step?

10 REPLIES 10

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What are you actually trying to do ?

You say you importanted an images - do you mean you ran a phase 1 and phase 2 import on a tape to import the images on this tape into the NBU catalg, or, do you mean you have run a Catalog recovery on a new master server and recovered the entire server,

What are the exact steps you took ?

Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK.looking at your other posts I see you are talking about migrating to a new server - so I suspect you mean you have run a catalog recovery on your new server, and this has completed successfully.

Once a catalog recovery is done, I would restart NBU and reconfigure the devices,

Next, check that the devices work and that the robot is working (run robtest for a start).

Then you can run a inventoy and check that the contents of the library are up-to-date with the NBU database.

To help us understand things, exactly how did you import your image ?

You say you see no difference in media/ volume pools.  OK , lets concentate only on the voume pools for the moment - what difference did you explect to see ?

For example, if I am right and you recovered the catalog from the old sever:

1  Whar volume pools were on the old server

2  What volume pools are missing on the new media server

If you ran a catalog recovery, did you run a 'Full' recovery or partial.  If you did partial, then the 'relational' databases will NOT have been recovered and you will be missing tings you explected to see.

So, first thing, please cnfirm exactly what you are wanting to do, and exactly (every single step in detail ) you have taken so far to achieve this.

Martin

Seth_Dickerson
Level 3

Ok here are my steps:

1.  Configured a Catalog Backup, noted the tape which was used.

2.  Powered down  the original server.

3.  Named the new server the exact DNS name and assigned it the same IP address.

4.  Opened Netbackup and cofigured the program, making sure robot was connected.

5.  Ran Import Images Wizard (Phase 1) from the tape noted from step 1

6.  Went into Catalog menu (on left side) selected each individual image and imported them one by one (Phase 2)

I received no error messages and the images were there as they were supposed to be however I see absolutely no change in my program, i.e. No volume pools, policies, etc... which are on the previous server.  I have performed an inventory of the robot and all of my media went into the netbackup volume pool rather than where they were assigned on the previous server.

Am I missing some crucial step here?

Thanks,

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK, now I understand.

You have imported the catalog tape, which is not necessary to recover the catalog.

What you need to do :

Find on the original server, the DR file that was created when the catalog backup was made.  In the catalog backup ploicy, there is a DR tab that will show the location of this.  It may also be email ed out, depending on what you set.

Copy this DR file across to the new server

Run the catalog recovery wizard - it will ask for the location of the DR file.... type this in

Select the FUll backup to restore 

Wait a bit ...

Martin

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have shared this TN in your other post:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

Have you had a look at it yet?

It also points to 'Disaster Recovery' section of Troubleshooting Guide...

Seth_Dickerson
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for all the help with importing the Catalogs to the new server.  The only issue I am facing at this point is when I open Backup, Archive, and Restore portion of the program I am not seeing any of the previous backup jobs which I can restore.  Is there something I am missing or something else which needs to be imported?  All help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You cannot IMPORT previous catalog backup and expect all to be fine.

Catalog needs to be RECOVERED before new backups are done on new master.

If Catalog is not recovered, you need to import all tapes and disk backups done in previous environment.

Please refer to my and Martin's posts dated 1 June....

Seth_Dickerson
Level 3

I just wanted to post and thank everyone I have figured out the issue.  It was a configuration issue in backup archive and restore.  Once it was configured properly all of my previous backups showed up.  Thanks again!

Lastly, Marianne in a previous post you had mentioned that Netbackup 6.5.4 64bit was not compatible with Win2008R2.  It was a painstakeing process but it seems to be working. 

Thanks again for all the assistance!

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Super, please mark the post that helped you the most as the solution - many thanks,

Martin

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Seth, If you've installed NetBackup 6.5.4 on Windows 2008 R2 64bit as a MASTER server, Symantec will not support this configuration. It is unsupported, check the compatibility guide:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC3656