cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm a bit fuzzy on a few items.............

Joe_Despres
Level 6
Partner
I'm a bit fuzzy on the following items for upgrdinging to ::--->  6.5.4

a::  How do I convert vault settings to a format that 6.5.4 uses....

b::  nbpushdata  ::--->  when to run, where to run....

Do I run just on the master?  On the media servers?

c::  Remove all files in dir ::--->  /usr/openv/netbackup/remote_versions

Why exactly does this need to be done?

d::  I would like to prevent jobs from kicking off under 6.5.4  Whats the best way to perform this?

Thanks....

Joe Despres
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
a) Don't know.  Anyone else?

b) I think you need the v6.5 Upgrade Portal here:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290185.htm

c) Is just a list of what the master believes are the software versions of clients.  It doesn't actaulyl contain any software.  The next time NetBackup talks to a client, it'll update the list.  I suspect that one is asked to delete it because it causes issues with upgrades - but I can't confirm.

d) You can't - ordinarily.
"bpconfig -tries 0" has been deprecated in v6.5 - there is no equivalent.
You have three options:
d1) De-activate all policies beforehand.
d2) Write a script to manually massage the text file"/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/sync" to change "TRIES_PER_PERIOD n" to "TRIES_PER_PERIOD 0" and then also update the MD5 checksum at the end of the file - BTW, I don't know how to regenerate the MD5 checksum.  Does anyone?
d3) Keep issuing "nbpemreq -suspend_scheduling" repeatedly and quickly as NetBackup starts, and hope you get your command in before nbpem begins queueing off jobs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
a) Don't know.  Anyone else?

b) I think you need the v6.5 Upgrade Portal here:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290185.htm

c) Is just a list of what the master believes are the software versions of clients.  It doesn't actaulyl contain any software.  The next time NetBackup talks to a client, it'll update the list.  I suspect that one is asked to delete it because it causes issues with upgrades - but I can't confirm.

d) You can't - ordinarily.
"bpconfig -tries 0" has been deprecated in v6.5 - there is no equivalent.
You have three options:
d1) De-activate all policies beforehand.
d2) Write a script to manually massage the text file"/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/sync" to change "TRIES_PER_PERIOD n" to "TRIES_PER_PERIOD 0" and then also update the MD5 checksum at the end of the file - BTW, I don't know how to regenerate the MD5 checksum.  Does anyone?
d3) Keep issuing "nbpemreq -suspend_scheduling" repeatedly and quickly as NetBackup starts, and hope you get your command in before nbpem begins queueing off jobs.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
while you are performing maintenance:

nbpemreq -suspend_scheduling

Make sure you dont forget to execute the following command when you are done:

nbpemrequ -resume_scheduling

What version are you upgrading from?  As nbpemreq will not work for any version prior to 6.0.

Joe_Despres
Level 6
Partner
The following would prevent jobs from kicking off on 5.1 and below:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpconfig -mj 0

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
sdw posted a link to the upgrade portal - you will find a detailed upgrade guide there that will answer all your questions...
It has information about vault changes, nbpushdata, how to prevent jobs from kicking and LOTS more....

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Depending on your current version, this will determine the steps you need to upgrade. As already stated, the Upgrade Portal should provide you with the info you need.

Joe_Despres
Level 6
Partner
a::  I see in the main doc [290141] where it tells you that it needs to be done...  It does have a link to technote ::---> 280696..
I guess I need to select "OK"....

b::  I see the light....  this command needs to be run on each server....  In the proper order of course...  Yet when keeping a server
at 5.1 ...  the command needs to be run elsewhere...

c::  I'll just delete the files....  Well....  I'll make a backup first before doing so  :)

d::  I'll write a for loop to identify the active policies,  Then send that data to a for loop to deactive them...  And have a for loop that will reactivate
the policies after the upgrade is done

Thanks.....

Joe Despres

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
No need to disable policies. Two ways of stopping all backups:

Extract from page 15 of upgrade guide:
Suspend NetBackup resource allocations. You must perform this step before you run nbpushdata.
■On UNIX systems, enter:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbrbutil -suspend
■On Windows systems, enter:
<install_path>\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbrbutil -suspend

Another way:
Stop nbpem: nbpemreq -suspend_scheduling
(seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278938.htm
)