Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to help a customer with SAP HANA backups

EnriquePereira
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I need to help a customer with SAP HANA backups. At this moment I am helping with the design and I am wondering about the deduplication rates as I have seen that SAP compress the stream before sending to NBU. Do anyone have real deduplication rates on SAP HANA backup implementations? 

Thanks in advance,

Enrique

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You did not say what kind of dedupe?

The recommendation from Veritas is to disable compression on db side to ensure good dedupe rates.

Extract from NBU Appliance Performance Tuning Guide:

General recommendations
We begin by taking a look at some general best practices that should be considered
when you implement a deduplication solution:
■ Implement NetBackup database or application agents wherever possible to take
advantage of database or application specific stream handlers.
■ Database dumps typically result in lower deduplication rates and are not
recommended when agents and/or stream handlers are available to perform
the task.
■ Enable compression at the media server level to achieve higher deduplication
rates for databases or applications.
■ Leverage client direct backups (client side deduplication) only when there are
enough CPU cycles available on the database or application server.

EnriquePereira
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I want to dedupe to a 5230 appliance or a MSDP (it will be great to do source dedup as the database could be so large). With another agents (oracle for example) I know it is possible to disable and I always do uncompressed backups and it is faster than RMAN compression.

The problem is only with SAP HANA. I do not know about HANA apart from several documents I am reading theese days. With this system the database is all in memmory, and it is always compressed in memmory. So the regular db state is already compressed and the documentation / videos I have seen says that SAP send the compressed stream. I think that this is the "easy" way. I am not sure if it is possible to disable compression.

That is what I am not sure about it, because I know very little about HANA.

Thanks and Regards,