cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've an issue, my master has gone.

ravin_a
Level 4
I've an issue, my master has gone. Msdp server with data exists. I don't want to rebuild the master,instead I want to add this msdp to other master. Would it be possible, if yes can someone provide the steps
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The MSDP media server still knows about the old master/EMM server. You will need to cleanup and change all entries to point to new master and restart NBU on media server to startup under control of new master.
At the same time, Server entry must be added for media server on new master, followed by NBU restart.

Only when nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose and nbemmcmd -getemmserver shows correct output should you proceed with adding Storage Server.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

See page 268:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000116394

Note that the Master will have to be the same name, so that the storage server previous configured as the MSDP name will work.

Marianne
The only way MSDP can be added to another master is to add it as media server to other master, change master and emm server name on media server, add storage server on other master, then start with phase 1 import, followed by phase 2 import.

IMHO, it will be easier (and probably faster) to rebuild the failed master and perform catalog recovery.

Rebuilding of the failed master is not possible. If we perform phase 1 and phase 2 import, can we able to do the restore from that msdp pool? And also there won't be any over writing happen since we are configuring the same dp under the new master?

Yes you should be able to. There will only be written to the MSDP if you have it configured in a storage unit used by one or more policies.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

thanks! I am wrting the steps here.

From Marianne's post --> The only way MSDP can be added to another master is to add it as media server to other master, change master and emm server name on media server, add storage server on other master, then start with phase 1 import, followed by phase 2 import.

after that I can able to browse the image but I think unable to perform the recovery. Since the media ID of the existing MSDP storage differ if we add it into (next master).

Please suggest, if anyone provide me the steps that would be a great help!

thanks in advance

Marianne

The new master will add new media id for the MSDP pool and import the images with the new media id.

PS
We can see that you have been using NBU for quite a while.
Did you not plan your backup environment with possible disaster recovery in mind?
Considering options for DR after disaster has struck is not a good idea....

If I understand you correctly, you can see the images/backups on the MSDP, but are not able to restore because a "mediaid" mismatch. Which suggests that something didn't go quite right with the import.

Can you post the job details for the restore attempt ? Easier to help when we know more about the problem.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Hi Marianne, we tried rebuilding the old master but no luck. Business agreed the risk and it's due to previous vendor.

Now I'm unable to configure the storage server getting rdsm error. It looks like the old emm didn't release this storage server.

Can someone help to fix this issue?

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

I am not sure I fully understand.

Is this a new master with a new EMM?  If so, then it doesn't know anything about the old EMM server.

If this is the old EMM Server, you should be able to re-attach it if you know the original username/password used to create the MSDP storage.  If you don't please open a support case.

Is this a new master with a new EMM? YES

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

With a new EMM it doesn't know about the previous EMM, so your RDSM error is not related to your old EMM.

They are many factors that can cause RDSM errors, most of which have a technote.  But we don't have enough details to tell you exactly what to do.

If the previous master was also the MSDP server, then the new Master/MSDP server has to be the same name.  The storage server information is stored in the MSDP location is looking for that old name.

I posted this earlier in the thread:

See page 268:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000116394

Genericus
   VIP   

"Considering options for DR after disaster has struck is not a good idea...." Marianne for the win.

DR.plan.jpg

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Marianne
The MSDP media server still knows about the old master/EMM server. You will need to cleanup and change all entries to point to new master and restart NBU on media server to startup under control of new master.
At the same time, Server entry must be added for media server on new master, followed by NBU restart.

Only when nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose and nbemmcmd -getemmserver shows correct output should you proceed with adding Storage Server.

Thanks Marianne!

You will need to cleanup and change all entries to point to new master - Could you please help to get the locations, wherever we need to do the cleanup?

Thanks in advance.

Marianne
On Unix/Linux media server, the entries are in bp.conf.
On Windows media server, in the Registry.

Thanks Marianne!

I have already done that. But I suspect that there is some entry in any configuration file on the MSDP server which still has old master entry, that stops adding the storage server. not sure what is it.

Marianne
You need a second pair of eyes.
Contact your local reseller and find out if they have knowledgeable support staff.
Or else log a support call with Veritas.