Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to know if I can certify that the coldbackup can be used as a recovery

Netbackup_fan
Level 5

Hi experts.

I want to know if I can certify that the coldbackup can be used as a recovery

5/11/2014 14:02:19 - Error bpbrm (pid=5407) from client vzwpr-churn-01: ERR - Cannot open file /oracle/agent12c/sbin/nmb. Errno = 13: Permission denied
05/11/2014 14:02:19 - Error bpbrm (pid=5407) from client vzwpr-churn-01: ERR - Cannot open file /oracle/agent12c/sbin/nmo. Errno = 13: Permission denied
05/11/2014 14:02:19 - Error bpbrm (pid=5407) from client vzwpr-churn-01: ERR - Cannot open file /oracle/agent12c/sbin/nmhs. Errno = 13: Permission denied
05/11/2014 14:02:47 - Info bpbkar (pid=23189) 4999 entries sent to bpdbm
05/11/2014 14:02:57 - Info bptm (pid=5412) waited for full buffer 917 times, delayed 2353 times
05/11/2014 14:02:59 - Info bptm (pid=5412) EXITING with status 0 <----------
05/11/2014 14:02:59 - Info bpbrm (pid=5407) validating image for client vzwpr-churn-01
05/11/2014 14:03:00 - Info bpbkar (pid=23189) done. status: 1: the requested operation was partially successful
05/11/2014 14:03:00 - end writing; write time: 0:00:43
the requested operation was partially successful  (1)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

A status 1 on Unix/Linux backup is never good.

ERR - Cannot open file .... Errno = 13: Permission denied

These files were not backed up due to insufficient read permissions.

We also cannot say if backup of Oracle databases were good and can be recovered because we do not know in what state Oracle was during the backup.

Best (and probably only) way to say for sure is to restore to a spare server and see if Oracle dba can start the database.

PS: Please reply to your other post as well:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/could-not-reset-access-time-oracleoragridgrid11gloghp...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne

A status 1 on Unix/Linux backup is never good.

ERR - Cannot open file .... Errno = 13: Permission denied

These files were not backed up due to insufficient read permissions.

We also cannot say if backup of Oracle databases were good and can be recovered because we do not know in what state Oracle was during the backup.

Best (and probably only) way to say for sure is to restore to a spare server and see if Oracle dba can start the database.

PS: Please reply to your other post as well:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/could-not-reset-access-time-oracleoragridgrid11gloghp...

Netbackup_fan
Level 5

The database was shutdown cleanly previous of the coldbackup.

This files with permission denied has nothing to do with the Oracle database. 

The other files from the database where succesfully back up.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Oracle 12C is supported in 7.6.0.2 (hot database backup)

If you need to be sure that a coldbackup work you need to restore it. The problem with Oracle backup is not data corruption as such but the structure needed (e.g. missing files, permissions etc).

I personally think data verify is obsolete feature of Netbackup.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Please list file permissions for those files - they should be owned by root and have the sticky bit set.

Netbackup_fan
Level 5

The 12c you are seeing in the log are from another product different from the databae.

The database version is 9.2.  All 9.2 files where backed up correctly.

Can the database be recovered ?  By recovered is a transfer from Veritas to the server in case I needed them in the future?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

We can't tell - nobody other than you can.

You need to test it out. A backup is only half the way - you need to test the restore as well.

If you wan to be sure restore work, switch to Netbackup agent for Oracle (online backup) that will put you in a supported configuration.

Netbackup_fan
Level 5

Oh, ok.  So I was thinking this error was something like a fifo problem.

So it can be restored.

Marianne

Seems we totally misunderstood your question..

Did you ask because of the status 1?

Are you asking if NBU keeps status 1 backups in catalog or discard it (as with >1 status codes)?

The answer is that NBU will keep status 1 backups.

But, as per my previous post - status 1 is never good.
If skipped files are needed for restores, you need to fix permission issues.
If skipped files are not needed, add them to exclude_list.

As per posts above - the only way to know if backup was good is to restore it.
Restore to a lab/test server if you do not want to overwite production data.

Only when dba has managed to startup the db and confirm that all is good can you say it was successful.

jim_dalton
Level 6

But in theory...yes a cold backup where youve backed up everything required by the db -apps and all - and the db(s) themselves.

So if you shut down the db, backup everything on a server and its returncode 0 then you have a consistent cold backup.

This of course does not include interesting issues where the restore process fails eg bugs in netbackup, tape drivers, firmware etc, nor does it include (and nor would you expect it to) self infilcted problems such as open but deleted files and untested features eg youve changed a param but not restarted the db since. You will of course get the changed and possibly incorrect param settings.

Jim

Netbackup_fan
Level 5

Thank you all.

Basic backup, just copy/paste files and let Veritas take them away safe.

Some files, not of my interest, failed with Status 1.

The rest are fine.

Question :  Can I restore that finished with srver status=0, or the Status 1 means I cannot recover the files that where backup with server status = 0?

Answer, drawn from this postings. Yes you can recover the ones that where backup correctly.

Why I ask this question?  Because I did not know.

Now I know, and I thank you all for you patience.