cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to check if backup job (ms/sap) finished correctly using Windows Event

Michele_Nicosia
Level 5

Good Day all, and Happy New Year!

while a bit tired of eating for the new year's celebration, i was thinking how to improve the overview of a Netbackup solution for my customers.
One of the thing i would check is the completion of all the backup for all the window agents we have, using both MS-WINDOWS backup (full/INC) and SAP/ORACLE ones.
I run a Nagios, which already checks for critical event on every agent, but i would like to add one or more checks for the completion of those backups.
I was not able to find any relevant events after a backup finished successfully or even wrongly.
The alternative way would be to use the linux master server, but for the moment i'm trying to figure out how to do it using window agents.
Someone of you already did something similar?
Could you please inform me if NBU agent write some events (which one for which case) for backup status?
Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Michele

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

NetBackup doesn't log job status to event viewer. Only thing that actually gets written to the event viewer are media manager related faults (tape libary and drives). You can configure OpsCenter to generate Alerts based on many types of events. You could then collect those alerts via SNMP in Nagios.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

NetBackup doesn't log job status to event viewer. Only thing that actually gets written to the event viewer are media manager related faults (tape libary and drives). You can configure OpsCenter to generate Alerts based on many types of events. You could then collect those alerts via SNMP in Nagios.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
You could add a generic but custom bpend_notify script to every Windows client and get it to write your own entries to the event log.

sdo

Do you need some example scripts to get this to work?

sdo

Maybe this might help:

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/post-netbackup-notifications-event-log-client-servers

...which refers to page 172 of the Troubleshooting Guide:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000003728

Or, if you have a Windows based master server, you could use this so that all backup failures get logged to the Application Event Log on the master server:

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/can-linux-netbackup-appliance-media-server-write-windows-event-log

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

in my view, Event Viewer messages will never provide such a level of graularity and detail which could be required by backup system monitoring. I recommend using OpsCenter reports here, and for databases, also database - side reports. Here are several examples whre Event Viewer is not sufficient:

- there are several backup job failures for a certain policy/schedule, but subsequent reattempt was ok, so RPO is met for these data despite errors

- on the other hand, backups can missed by NetBackup scheduler at all for a reason, then RPO is not met despite no errors in EViewer

- backup job was ok, but due to policy misconfiguration or a change in environment, it backed up 0 bytes or backed up other data than required. So again RPO not met despite job result ok

- etc...

Regards

Michal