cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM 3580 TD2 Perfomance Issue

Sergey_Evsyuk1
Level 4
Hello collegaues, can anybody help?
In our backup system we have 3 media servers (2 Solaris 9 and 1 HP-UX 11.11), connected through 2GB SAN with IBM 3584 L32 (5 3580 LTO2 drives). Performance of backup on all media servers only 35MB/s per drive. Seems, that is native (not compressed) data rate for 3580 LTO2 drives. Disk array - not a bottleneck, command: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rmt/0cbn bs=5242880 gives the same rate (~35MB/s). SAN is not a bottleneck too (there are not alerts in Brocade messages). Seems like IBM doesnt reform compression of data. How we can detect a backup bottleneck?
NB: There are no any errors while full library verification process

Sergey
6 REPLIES 6

Richard_van_Den
Level 4
Sergey,

Are the drives set to do Hardware compression?
How the performance will be when compression is used, nobody knows, because it all depends on the type of data which is being sent to the drives.

Richard.

Sergey_Evsyuk1
Level 4
Hi Richard,
I use /dev/rmt/xcbn drivers in Solaris. This is recommended drivers for Netbackup with maximum compression. I couldnt find any library compression configurations. I have tryed default st.conf for this drivers configuring and i have tryed Veritas recommended st.conf.There is no difference in backup performance. When i used command: dd if=/dev/zero ..., i waited the best compression becose the data contains only zeroes

Sergey

Richard_van_Den
Level 4
Sergey,

You might want to consider using the IBM Drivers instead on:

ftp://service.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/Solaris

I always tend to go with the Hardware device drivers, because there are always dicussions when using other drivers when there are problems or when upgrading the firmware.
BTW, is the library on the latest firmware?

Richard.

Sergey_Evsyuk1
Level 4
Richsrd,
thank you for advise, i`ll thinking about migration to IBM drivers. Our library has latest firmware

Sergey

Sergey_Evsyuk1
Level 4
After migration from native to IBM drivers on HP-UX, speed speed has increased up to 100MB/s per drive! Does IBM drivers oficcially supports by Veritas on Solaris systems? There are no metions about them in MM Device configuration Guide

Richard_van_Den
Level 4
Check the interoperability matrix on:

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/support/lto/3580/planning.html