Hi,

Has any one faced problem with the IBM 3585 + Netbackup 5.1 MP1
combination.

With the delay in retreaving the tape from the CAP port
and other issues ??
10 REPLIES 10

patrickkuah
Level 6
I faced some delays with IBM 3583 too.... not too sure if this is by design....

patrick

MayurS
Level 6
What did you do to improve it??

patrickkuah
Level 6
well....just called in IBM to upgrade the library and drives firmware....and patched Netbackup to latest patches.
seem to help a little :)

MayurS
Level 6
Mine is running on lastest Patches.

When ever i insert a tape in the cap port and run an immediate Inverntory.
The Tlu shows me that it is moving all the tapes under it to Standalone.
But if i wait for some time and do the inventory i dont face any problem. But i have wait a considerable time for that.

patrickkuah
Level 6
"When ever i insert a tape in the cap port and run an immediate Inverntory"

Mayur,
You can only run inventory using Netbackup GUI only after the physical inventory for the library is completed.

Mine is just a short delay but compared to HP and StorageTek i find them inventory a lot faster but one good thing is that IBM is scalable ;)

patrickkuah

MayurS
Level 6
Have you seen the behaviour, like moving all the current tapes under TLD to Standalone ?

patrickkuah
Level 6
If media tapes is outside the library, it should be under standalone drive. It's normal.
Once you injected the tapes in, it will automatically assign back to TLD.

Hope i get your question right? :)

patrick

MayurS
Level 6
You got it wrong. Actually i am new to IBM techology kindy bear with me.

There is tape A in the library.
Now i insert tape B in the CAP and close it and run an inventory without waiting for a minute. The inventory shows "moving A to standalone"

Actually there is a Lock picture on the LCD of the library. It locks when i insert a tape and unlocks after the Robot scans the tape.
I dont face any problem if i run the inventory after the picture shows unlock. But wheni runinventory Veritas NB shows that it is scanning for the media actually the library has lready taken 2 mins to scan the tape.

Is there any Sync missing between NB and IBM libraryMessage was edited by:
Mayur Shinde

patrickkuah
Level 6
NBU get update via the robot of the tape library. So, you can only run inventory after the physical inventory of the library completed (when you see 'unlock' on the library LCD panel) and not once you close the CAP.

When you closed the CAP (with TapeB in CAP slot), i believed the robot have somehow released the memory (not too sure if this is by design), and if you run NBU inventory immediately, NBU will update it media database from the robot and sent TapeA or all tapes to standalone drive

Once the physical inventory completed, the robot updated the new information in the memory and u get the correct info when you run NBU inventory now.

I'm using 3853, the physical inventory took about 3mins to 4mins but when i run inventory in NBU, it get the updates in about 10secs.

I have ever did an implementation on IBM 3854 library using Legato NetWorker. I get the updates in matter of second when i run inventory in NetWorker.
Not too sure for 3585. I suggest you check with IBM or VERITAS.

Remember, you can only run NBU inventory after the physical inventory of the tape library completed

cheer!!!
patrick :)

MayurS
Level 6
Ok Thanks for clearing the doubts.