cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM Tape Library not accessible after a SAN switch upgrade

FalconDigital
Level 3

In a working environment, we have upgraded SAN Switch from version Version on SAN Switch (EMC Connectrix 6520b) v8.2.3c (  Old version on one switch was 7.4 and second one was 8.0 ) and then we have seen IBM Tape Library not accessible. with EMM Code 2009. All Compatible Drive Paths are down, but media is available.

NBU version is 8.1.1  Running  master server on AIX. Please help.

8 REPLIES 8

quebek
   VIP    Certified

hello

First question you have to ask your self is if your master/media server is able to see tape device on OS level side.

So what is the answer to this one? If OS will not see tape drives how come NBU should have?!?!

so use this command from NBU:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan

to see if it will find any drives & robots...

If not take this with SAN and OS admins - maybe there are issues after this upgrade with zonning...

FalconDigital
Level 3

If I get your point, then we run command tpconfig -dl and saw some of the drives have been with status down. we run the commands for all down drives like 

vmoprcmd -upbyname IBM.ULT3580-TD3.004 

and all such drives have been shown up which were mostly TD3.XXX. 

Some how Backup Job have been still failing. Please advise next with commands.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

hi

well nope you did not get my point....

show me the outcome of this command ran as root:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan

and maybe

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -report_disc

FalconDigital
Level 3

NBU-PTCL-Tape.png

Thanks. Your commands output is awaited. However, we have received below the latest logs for backup jobs.

01/11/2023 15:07:31 - Info nbjm (pid=10289260) starting backup job (jobid=42220) for client iibapp3, policy Maximo_IIBAPP3_logs_6Months_Weekly, schedule Maximo_IIBAPP3_logs_6Months_Weekly

01/11/2023 15:07:31 - Info nbjm (pid=10289260) requesting STANDARD_RESOURCE resources from RB for backup job (jobid=42220, request id:{C2F648AE-9197-11ED-A489-3CDFEEC20000})

01/11/2023 15:07:31 - requesting resource nbuserver-hcart-robot-tld-0

01/11/2023 15:07:31 - requesting resource nbuserver.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.iibapp3

01/11/2023 15:07:31 - requesting resource nbuserver.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.Maximo_IIBAPP3_logs_6Months_Weekly

01/11/2023 15:07:31 - awaiting resource nbuserver-hcart-robot-tld-0. Waiting for resources.

Reason: Robotic library is down on server, Media server: nbuserver,

Robot Type(Number): TLD(0), Media ID: N/A, Drive Name: N/A,

Volume Pool: Maximo_pool, Storage Unit: nbuserver-hcart-robot-tld-0, Drive Scan Host: N/A,

Disk Pool: N/A, Disk Volume: N/A

FalconDigital
Level 3

Hi, 

Thanks much for all your support. 

I have attached both commands output. Need support.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

So, as you can see from the report_disc outcome there are missing drives, robot.

I would have deleted all devices and ran again the device wizard... 

Good luck....

FalconDigital
Level 3

Thanks again. So you mean to say that other than 4 robots and identified drives shown in scan command output , still some drives and robot is missing.

how can i delete and run again the drives using command line.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

Well I did notice that something is missing - I do not know you environment what should be there etc...

I am away from my env - so just recalling from top of my memory

tpconfig is the command to play with the devices...

but I would have used JAVA GUI to delete and run wizard...