cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INCREMENTAL AND FULL BACKUP IN SAME SCHEDULE

Pangal
Level 5

Hi

I am aware that incremental and full backup should be in same policy (MS- Windows and Standard), whether this is applicable to other types of backups like Exchange (I guess not). Just need your confirmation and expert views

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes It would be same. You might want to know difference between backup window and the application window which applies mostly to DB, Oracle backups.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sksujeet
Level 6

Yes It would be same. You might want to know difference between backup window and the application window which applies mostly to DB, Oracle backups.

Pangal
Level 5

Hi sazz

So you are saying if i configure full exchange in policy 1 and differential exchange in policy 2. The policy 2 will take full backup instead of differential right??

sksujeet
Level 6

Yes.Full and incremental in one policy please.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Both incremental and full should be in same policy. A incremental always need to hook-up (or we could say reference)  to a full backup. Before running a incremental, netbackup look for a full in the same policy. 

If it could be a different policy, Netbackup would have to do guessing across maybe thousand of client, schedules and policies slowing dong backup executing.

So the rule, about having incremental and full in same policy make a lot sense.

Hope it clarify.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Only database policies that contain 'Default-Application' schedule need different policies for Full and Incr.

Exchange policy works the same as Standard and MS-Windows policies - one policy for Full and Incr schedules.