cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If tapes have been manually suspended, will they get vaulted?

fiveninesixtwos
Level 2

Hi Folks,

I'm quite new to netbackup and wondering if suspending would keep media out of vault list. Also, is it possible to know which tapes are going to be included on the vault list the day before?

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Thanks,

Lyman

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Not tried that, I suspect the vault will fail as the tape is already ejected (or at least error for that tape), the question is, does it still move the tape to the offsite volume pool, and contines to track the tape as normal (that is so it can advise when to bring it back).  I suspect it will not, and so I would advise to leave the tapes in the robot until vault ejects them.

M

View solution in original post

watsons
Level 6

Well.. it depends how you configure the vault profile. Note that it's optional even for eject & report option - meaning you can skip them. It is possible to configure vault just to do duplication, and you can do a manual eject on your own or with consolidated (deferred) eject.

Say if you obtain the eject tape list by working out your own select criteria, you can eject them first manually. Before doing that make sure your profile skips those operation, in this case your vault job would not fail. Please note you may not be able to make use of the report function too.

Next question might be: Would i be able to track the offsite if I eject it manually?

Answer is yes, but you will have to do it manually as well (by using vmchange to your offisite volume group), however I would not recommend this as it's just too tedious. If vault has the ability to track and eject for you, why not use it instead? :)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes

fiveninesixtwos
Level 2

Thanks mph999! I guess I should just eject the tapes and keep them onsite if a user requests for them instead of suspending. I guess my follow-up question would be, if I have a session ID 1234 that will be vaulted tomorrow and I ejected the tape now that's included on that session ID, would that create some discrepancy or issues?

Thanks!

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Not tried that, I suspect the vault will fail as the tape is already ejected (or at least error for that tape), the question is, does it still move the tape to the offsite volume pool, and contines to track the tape as normal (that is so it can advise when to bring it back).  I suspect it will not, and so I would advise to leave the tapes in the robot until vault ejects them.

M

watsons
Level 6

Well.. it depends how you configure the vault profile. Note that it's optional even for eject & report option - meaning you can skip them. It is possible to configure vault just to do duplication, and you can do a manual eject on your own or with consolidated (deferred) eject.

Say if you obtain the eject tape list by working out your own select criteria, you can eject them first manually. Before doing that make sure your profile skips those operation, in this case your vault job would not fail. Please note you may not be able to make use of the report function too.

Next question might be: Would i be able to track the offsite if I eject it manually?

Answer is yes, but you will have to do it manually as well (by using vmchange to your offisite volume group), however I would not recommend this as it's just too tedious. If vault has the ability to track and eject for you, why not use it instead? :)