cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Image Cleanup/ Incorrect Drive Location

Carl_Ayres
Level 4

Hello,

A few weeks back i moved the location of the \Netbackup\db folder from the G:\ to the D:\ of our Master server. Origionally the netbackup install was on the D:\, but the catalog outgrew the available space on the D:\ so I moved the \db folder to the G:\ using the discontinued method below.

The problem i have is that now I have moved "Netbackup\db" back to the D:\, when an image cleanup runs, it still looks for images on the G:\, obviously it can't find them, so it doesn't clean them. I am concerned that the size of the catalog will grow and grow, is this the case? Is there a way to tell Netbackup that the image folder is now back on the D:\

It looks like expired backups taken after i moved the location of the db folder will clean successfully, it's just those taken pre db move.

I backup to NBU5230 appliances and am running 7.6.0.2 on the master and 2.6.0.2 on the appliances.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Carl

Solution

Symptom: 

How to "Relocate" only the NetBackup Images Catalog.

Solution: 

In preparation to move the NetBackup Catalog from one location to another, we strongly recommend to perform a full backup of the NetBackup database catalog backup.

To relocate the catalog, follow these steps:

1. Shut down the NetBackup services on the master server. This may be done by running install-path\NetBackup\bin\bpdown command or from Windows Services.

2. Copy the install-path:\NetBackup\db directory to its new location, then rename the old db directory to db.bak as a backup copy ( where install-path is the location where Netbackup is currently installed )

3. Edit the registry but running regedit.exe command and navigate to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Paths]

Locate the DATABASE_PATH string value or if it does not already exist, create it (it will default as REG_SZ value) making sure it is all in upper case.  This DATABASE_PATH string value is used to redefine where the NetBackup Image database is located.

For example if the new database location is in D:\new_location\db, the value of "DATABASE_PATH" would be:

D:\\new_location\\db

Note: All backslash characters must be doubled as shown above in the example.

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

4. Restart NetBackup services by running install-path\NetBackup\bin\bpup command or  from the Windows services.

5. Symantec recommends a full Hot NetBackup Catalog Backup after the relocation to ensure the backup works correctly. 

Note: If you are using the legacy offline catalog backup for version prior 6.x, make sure to update the Offline Catalog Backup from the administration console by selecting the Catalog tab then right click and select Configure Offline catalog backup, then update the previous backup location to point to the new location of the image database.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Try this

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH160799

Or move the folder back to G:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Carl_Ayres
Level 4

Here is the job detail from an example cleanup job

03/08/2014 10:11:56 - Info nbdelete(pid=2388) deleting expired images. Media Server: iffelvcb201 Media: G:\DRà€ Catalogà€ Files     
03/08/2014 10:11:56 - Info bpdm(pid=11740) started            
03/08/2014 10:11:56 - started process bpdm (11740)
03/08/2014 10:11:57 - Critical bpdm(pid=11740) sts_get_lsu_prop_byname on LSU G:\DR Catalog Files failed: 2060013 no more entries  
03/08/2014 10:11:57 - Critical bpdm(pid=11740) Invalid storage device: G:\DRà€ Catalogà€ Files no more entries      
03/08/2014 10:11:57 - Critical bpdm(pid=11740) failure to open disk at path G:\DRà€ Catalogà€ Files: plug-in reports error 2060013 no more entries
03/08/2014 10:11:57 - Error bpdm(pid=11740) volume G:\DRà€ Catalogà€ Files does not exist or is not available. 

Regards

Marianne

The error is not with image db.

You had a disk storage unit on G-drive: G:\DR Catalog Files  
What happened to that?

Image cleanup need to cleanup image db and also delete the backups on the Storage Unit.

RiaanBadenhorst

Try this

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH160799

Or move the folder back to G:

Carl_Ayres
Level 4

Marianne,

I moved my master server to new hardware (same hostname and IP) with no G:\, just a D:\. Before i did that, i moved the Netbackup\db location back to the D:\ of my old master server.

I will try the technote from Riaan.

Carl_Ayres
Level 4

Thanks Riaan and Marianne, the technote supplied by Riaan seems to have done the trick.

RiaanBadenhorst

Great

Marianne

The Storage Unit has nothing to do with the move of image db.

Storage unit config is totally separate of NBU catalogs.
This is what I was trying to explain in my post above.

If you have a separate storage unit for catalog backups, it should NOT be on the same filesystem/drive letter as the catalogs. 
If you lose that drive, you lose catalogs as well as the backup.

Glad that Riaan's TN worked for you.