cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Cleanup runs automatically after every failed job

Georges_N
Level 4

Hello

I have a quick problem - the image cleanup process, scheduled for every 12 hours, seems to run automatically after every single failed job. We have a server with many many failed SQL log jobs per day, and there's nothing I can do about it for the next week or so... it has to run, it will work on most, will fail on some, and I get into work every morning with about 20 "Image Cleanup" jobs running and almost crashing my Master and its Appliances...

I have looked and looked and I cannot seem to find an option anywhere telling Netbackup to stop cleaning up after every single job failure... I can wait 12 hours, for sure.

Any ideas?

Windows 2008 x64 R2 / Netbackup 7.5.0.7 and a couple of 5230 appliances.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No way to stop them I'm afraid, I've just tried a touch file, but this only stops the 12hr cleanup from expiring, not the cleanup from failed backups.

The only thing I can think of, is to not run the failing backups - but as you explain thns is not an option.

Is it possible perhaps to run them at different times so the concentration of cleanup jobs is less ?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No way to stop them I'm afraid, I've just tried a touch file, but this only stops the 12hr cleanup from expiring, not the cleanup from failed backups.

The only thing I can think of, is to not run the failing backups - but as you explain thns is not an option.

Is it possible perhaps to run them at different times so the concentration of cleanup jobs is less ?

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Make a temporary backup script to use for the week?

Georges_N
Level 4

So the policy is for hourly SQL log backup and works half the time... am I missing info on compatibility issues with SQL 2012 and NBU 7.5.0.7? it never happened in 7.5.0.5 but we had to update when we got our 5230 appliances...

I could use something temporary, if that's the Symantec solution. Thanks.

RiaanBadenhorst

You said "We have a server with many many failed SQL log jobs per day, and there's nothing I can do about it for the next week or so"

I would therefore assume that there is something going on in your environment sql migration, some type of configuration, etc that you're AWARE of but cannot do anything about. Hence you saying you can't do anything about it, and that is why i suggested a temporary policy to cater for the time when the "work" is going on.

You never mentioned that "SQL log backup and works half the time." nor did you mention that you upgraded and then it stopped working. All you said was there is something going on and now you're going to face issues for the next week.

Maybe give us all the information then we can better assist you.

What exactly are the errors of the SQL jobs? You don't need to upgade your client software to 7.5.0.7 to match the appliance either.

Georges_N
Level 4

Sorry, I'll get more info and re-post - the general idea is I backup 12 SQL 2012 (running on Windows 2008 R2) servers via Hourly LOG backups - 1 of these 12 seems to only work 50% of the time, with the other 50% of the log backups freezing for a good half hour before failing with Status 6.

I'm going to wait until it happens again later today and add screenshots, sorry for the confusion.

Marianne
Level 6

Best to start a new discussion for failed SQL backups and allow us to assist with troubleshooting.

I am concerned about this statement:

... about 20 "Image Cleanup" jobs running and almost crashing my Master and its Appliances...

In what way? This is what we should be concentrating on and try to fix.

Can you see certain processes on master and appliances consuming memory/cpu?
Master server specs?
Which model 5230's?