cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image deleted during catalog backup

X2
   VIP   

The daily catalog backup for one of my domains was partially successful this morning. The error in detailed job (edited) showed the following:

02/03/2017 04:09:28 - Error bpbrm (pid=11288) from client master.nbudomain : ERR - Cannot open file /opt/openv/netbackup/db/images/client.nbudomain/1483000000/NBU_POLICY_1483070410_FULL.f. Errno = 2: No such file or directory

Note the time stamp above. The catalog job started at 02/03/2017 03:02:35 and file list was read for backup and backup started a few seconds later.

The message that it couldn't find that particular file is correct. I don't see the file to be present any more. Looking at the backup image IDs in the catalog, it seems to be that the backup image expired around 03:30:xx. The image might have been deleted by one of the Image Cleanup jobs which ran around 04:00h.

So, the possibility is that the backup image was listed as a file to be backed up when the catalog backup started, but it expired and image cleanup performed before the file could be backed up.

Does that sound plausible? Doesn't NetBackup have workarounds for such cases? Has anyone experienced this?

6 REPLIES 6

watsons
Level 6

How long apart it is from your job starting time to this error time? Minutes, hours? 

Used to experience this very long ago, but not in recent NBU version... 

1483070410 = 30 Dec 2016 04:00 

So I'm guessing that image had two month retention and was being cleaned up.  How long does your catalog backup take? 

X2
   VIP   

@watsons

The Catalog backup lasts between 1hr to 1h 30min depending on how busy the systems are.

This is the first time I have seen this happen since 7.5.x days.

@Will_Restore

5 week retention to be exact.

The aged of backup image file which was "cleaned" had tipped over to a little more than 5 weeks.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You never mentioned your NBU version?

X2
   VIP   

I didn't! My bad.

Currently 7.7.3.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You may want to log a Support call to find out if this is normal behaviour.
I guess they are going to ask for LOTS of logs at highest possible logging level....