cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image import is getting failed with 191

Sagar_Kolhe
Level 6

Hello All,

I am facing one import issue in our environment. Please find the details below.

Master : solaris 10

Media Server : solaris 10

NBU : 7.7.1

Other imports have been sucessfully complete , but this import is getting continouesly failed. Below are erros from activity monitor.

We have tried multiple things to complete this as follows :

1) Duplicated same backup again with different media.

2) Taken new backup and duplicated.

3) Tried with original media to import but it got failed.

4) Increased the client read timeout to 7200 as per veritas TSC,but issue still persist.

5) In the logs , its showing 82 error code.

03/26/2016 23:30:40 - Critical bpbrm (pid=25412) unexpected termination of client netback10
03/26/2016 23:30:40 - Error bptm (pid=25417) cannot write data to socket, Broken pipe
03/26/2016 23:30:43 - Error bptm (pid=25415) media manager terminated by parent process
03/26/2016 23:30:45 - Error bpimport (pid=2363) Import of policy Adhoc_Chan_DCRSSTDBY_23032016, schedule Adhoc_DCRSSTDBY (dcrsstdby_1458741676) failed, client process aborted.
03/26/2016 23:30:45 - Info nbtar (pid=25414) done. status: 50: client process aborted
03/26/2016 23:30:46 - Error bpimport (pid=2363) Status = no images were successfully processed.
03/26/2016 23:30:48 - end Import; elapsed time 0:46:02
no images were successfully processed  (191)

03/27/2016 08:37:43 - Error bptm (pid=13354) cannot write data to socket, Broken pipe
03/27/2016 08:37:47 - Info bptm (pid=13353) EXITING with status 24 <----------
03/27/2016 08:43:29 - Critical bpbrm (pid=13350) from client netback8: FTL - socket read failed
03/27/2016 08:43:30 - Error bpimport (pid=25639) from host netback8, FTL - socket read failed
03/27/2016 08:43:30 - Info nbtar (pid=13352) done. status: 23

03/27/2016 08:43:30 - Error bpimport (pid=25639) Import of policy Adhoc_Chan_DCRSSTDBY_23032016, schedule Adhoc_DCRSSTDBY (dcrsstdby_1458741676) failed, tar had an unexpected error.
03/27/2016 08:43:30 - Error bpimport (pid=25639) Status = no images were successfully processed.
03/27/2016 08:43:31 - Info nbtar (pid=13352) done. status: 24: socket write failed
03/27/2016 08:43:33 - end Import; elapsed time 0:14:05
no images were successfully processed  (191)

Please help to resolve this as I am out of options now. Also I have uploaded the relevent logs.

Thanks and Regards,

Sagar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VerJD
Level 4
Employee

Sagar...

Even though there's been no response, I agree with Marianne the "nbtar ... status: 50: client process aborted" and "tar had an unexpected error" messages seem suspicious. I'd be curious to see the tar log from the media server, in which verbosity can be turned up with "VERBOSE = 5" or "NBTAR_VERBOSE = 5" entry in the bp.conf file.

Otherwise, a few things to note are:

• In NetBackup 7.7.1 on UNIX/Linux only, nbtar is used for import & verify operations, tar is only used for restore operations.*
  • There seems to be some issues with nbtar with import & verify operations at 7.7.1, more commonly on Solaris 10.
  • In NetBackup 7.7.2, I believe there were some improvements to nbtar, since it's used for all 3 operations. Plus the tar binary has been removed.

* For more information on nbtar changes, see the two videos in the eLibraryhttps://www.veritas.com/elibrary/en.html

• NetBackup > NetBackup > NetBackup 7.7 > NetBackup 7.7.1 What's New > NetBackup 7.7.1 Process Enhancements (4 of 5)
  • NetBackup > NetBackup > NetBackup 7.7 > NetBackup 7.7.2 What's New > Process Enhancements (4 of 6)

With that being said, I would suggest upgrading to NetBackup 7.7.2 (or later, depending on when you read this).

Alternately, to test if the issue is with the new nbtar binary, or as a workaround:

1. Create the following touch file to revert back to using the old tar binary:

# touch /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/TOUCH_FILE_USE_OLD_TAR

2. Then re-run the import and report the outcome back to this post.

3. Afterwards, you can safely remove the touch file.

# rm -f /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/TOUCH_FILE_FOR_OLD_TAR

For additional usage on the touch file, check the document below which was actually written for a verify issue:

Image Verify on disk or tape fails with EXIT status 191http://www.veritas.com/docs/000108172

Hope that helps!! smiley

JD | Veritas NetBackup Support

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am missing something... are you trying to import on same master/media server where the backup was taken or a different environment?

The "... tar had an unexpected error ..." makes me wonder if original backup was encrypted?

VerJD
Level 4
Employee

Sagar...

Even though there's been no response, I agree with Marianne the "nbtar ... status: 50: client process aborted" and "tar had an unexpected error" messages seem suspicious. I'd be curious to see the tar log from the media server, in which verbosity can be turned up with "VERBOSE = 5" or "NBTAR_VERBOSE = 5" entry in the bp.conf file.

Otherwise, a few things to note are:

• In NetBackup 7.7.1 on UNIX/Linux only, nbtar is used for import & verify operations, tar is only used for restore operations.*
  • There seems to be some issues with nbtar with import & verify operations at 7.7.1, more commonly on Solaris 10.
  • In NetBackup 7.7.2, I believe there were some improvements to nbtar, since it's used for all 3 operations. Plus the tar binary has been removed.

* For more information on nbtar changes, see the two videos in the eLibraryhttps://www.veritas.com/elibrary/en.html

• NetBackup > NetBackup > NetBackup 7.7 > NetBackup 7.7.1 What's New > NetBackup 7.7.1 Process Enhancements (4 of 5)
  • NetBackup > NetBackup > NetBackup 7.7 > NetBackup 7.7.2 What's New > Process Enhancements (4 of 6)

With that being said, I would suggest upgrading to NetBackup 7.7.2 (or later, depending on when you read this).

Alternately, to test if the issue is with the new nbtar binary, or as a workaround:

1. Create the following touch file to revert back to using the old tar binary:

# touch /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/TOUCH_FILE_USE_OLD_TAR

2. Then re-run the import and report the outcome back to this post.

3. Afterwards, you can safely remove the touch file.

# rm -f /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/TOUCH_FILE_FOR_OLD_TAR

For additional usage on the touch file, check the document below which was actually written for a verify issue:

Image Verify on disk or tape fails with EXIT status 191http://www.veritas.com/docs/000108172

Hope that helps!! smiley

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks for an excellent post JD.

I am amazed when a problem is important enough to post on Connect, but then no response from the user in 3 weeks!

VerJD
Level 4
Employee

Thanks, Marianne, much appreciated and you're most welcome! Yeah, I'm not sure if they forget sometimes, or maybe don't get email notifications.

For this particular issue, I finally tracked down a case (21265723) for this issue, closed on the 12th. Additionally, a backline engineer who previously asked me about this same touchfile, appears to have been working on this case, which was before I had written the document for the verify job. However, it's unclear if there was a solution on that case, or if they used the touch file as a workaround, since it was closed as "Resolved by customer" with no specifics.

So...

Hopefully, Sagar_Kolhe will get a notification or something and update us on what was done to resolve the issue. #crossingfingers wink

Sagar_Kolhe
Level 6

Sorry Guys ... I was moved from that project on 1st Apr , so didnt got any update regading the issue. Before leaving the site , I have did the cat import and export  for the image and successfuly duplicated the data for user. As this was an urgent requirement , I did cat import and export. I had conveyed your post of resolution to my old team so if they this issue again, this will help.

Thank you very much for your execellent support.

Hello Marriane Mam ,

I am extemely sorry for being so late to reply as I havent know if someone has posted on my forum or not and as I have changed my project , little bit busy here going thorugh this environment.

I will make sure this will not happen again in future.

Thanks and best regards,

Sagar Kolhe.