Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Images are not deleting from disk even after expiration

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hello 

Using NBU 7.6.1.2 on windows 2008R2. 

Running a filesystem backup onto a Advanced disk attached to different media server which is also nbu 7.6.1.2 on windows 2008R2. The backup is successfull. We have a Vault policy to duplicate these backups from Advanced disk to tape. And under duplication policy we have set the option to expire the original disk images (1) hour. Attaching screenshot. 

The catalog search seems to be not showing the data from disk but the physical location is not deleting the files event after bpimage cleanup all clients and nbdelete allvolume command execution. 

Can anyone suggest what could be the issue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Serene_trust
Not applicable

I faced the similar thing and i resolved the issue by performing the below steps - 

1.      Remove this file from master server: C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\NOexpire
  2.      Run this command on master server: bpimage -cleanup -allclients –force

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I think there is no issue. The images are on an advanced disk. You can expire these images. Deleting from Disk is done by advanced disk itself triggered by reaching the high watermark.

ciao

Martin

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Create bpdm log folder on the media server to track image deletion.

The user account used for NBU services on the media server needs to have proper permission to storage location in order to delete images from disk.

WikiDonor
Level 6
Thank you for quick response Marianne and tunix2k. I will update once followed your valuable suggestions.

watsons
Level 6

"The catalog search seems to be not showing the data "

Does it mean your duplication job did not pick up any image?

I looked at your screenshot, other than the "Location" , you also checked "Attributes", is there anything you include/exclude there? Note that the search will look into the "Attributes" if you select something in there, it's possible not all images will be found for duplication.

Serene_trust
Not applicable

I faced the similar thing and i resolved the issue by performing the below steps - 

1.      Remove this file from master server: C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\NOexpire
  2.      Run this command on master server: bpimage -cleanup -allclients –force

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hello Serene Trust

I tried exactly what you said and your solution worked for me too. Thank you very much

Marianne
So, you had NoExpire touchfile on the master? Who created it and why? Backup admins normally create this file for a specific reason and understand the consequences. ...

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hello Marianne,

The file was there and I have no idea who created it because I looked at the current server for the first time. But I re-tested it again to confirm if NOexpire file did any thing to resolve and it really did that trick. 

Marianne

NoExpire does what the name suggests - it prevents automatic image expiration.

Here is an explanation of the touchfile: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000008058 

Because this file only created for a specific purpose, we don't normally even think of asking to check for it.

Anyway - glad that your issue is fixed!! 
(I am curious to know if you managed to check the timestamp on the file before deleting it...)