cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of no Master

jpench
Level 3

We are moving data centers and it looks like our only Master server is going to be down for 24-48 hours. This master server is now at site A and also acts as a media server for this site. We are moving all the systems in site A to site C. We have a second site, B that has a media server and backs up everything at site B. I want to make sure I understand all of the impacts of not having a master available. Can someone validate if I have this right?

1. I won't be able to backup at either site while the master is down.

2. I will be able to perform restores at site B while the master is down. Since I have a copy of the catalog backed up to disk at site B and also can read the catalog from a tape should I need a restore.

3. If I need to restore data from site A while the master is down, I can send the tapes to site B and recover suing the catalog information on the tape.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

true

2. and 3.

false, you still don't have a Master server

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Will_Restore
Level 6

true

2. and 3.

false, you still don't have a Master server

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Without a master, you cannot do anything.

A media server is not able to backup or restore without the master.

You could use the server at B and reconfig it as a copy of the master, but for such a short 'outage' I suspect it isn't worth it.  It doesn't take long when you've 1 done it many times and 2. it all works as planned, but any issue could take hours to resolve - it's an unknown.

Regards,

Martin

jpench
Level 3

Thank you both for the reply. I appreciate the help.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please select the post that has helped you most and Mark As Solution.