cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implications for changing policy storage units

rjrumfelt
Level 6

It's been a while since I've posted.  The website has changed quite a bit.

Anyway, I had a quick question.  My colleagues and I were not sure if changing storage units prompts a full backup for the evening proceeding the change.  I'm thinking the answer is no, but I want to make sure.  I know if we change policy names, that will prompt a full, but not sure about the storage unit.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sankar_28
Level 4

Hi, You are correct, only for new/ changed policies runs FULL backup but not for other attributes changes on policies

Changing of storage unit defines how the policy uses the storage devices for backup, which can be changes according to our requirement.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sankar_28
Level 4

Hi, You are correct, only for new/ changed policies runs FULL backup but not for other attributes changes on policies

Changing of storage unit defines how the policy uses the storage devices for backup, which can be changes according to our requirement.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I agree. STU change will not result in full backup. Changes to Backup Selection will.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I just did an actual test.  And it didn't affect the size of a differential backup, when changing from MSDP storage unit + accelerator, to a basic disk storage storage unit with no accelerator.

So, you should be ok.

sdo

However, what I did notice is...     if I ran the diff backup to a basic disk STU    before    MSDP had had a chance to finish properly dedupe munging (accelerator reforming) the ingested previous full or diff backup (that went to MSDP)... then the diff backup to basic disk storage unit can be bigger than one would expect - but oddly enough it wasn't everything , so I must have caught it at the perfect sour spot to see that behaviour.   I retested twice more, but each time waited for MSDP to finish munging, and it behaved each time as we would want... i.e. the diffs stayed small after turning off accelerator on the "manual" full schedule, and turning it off on teh policy header AND switching the storage unit on the policy header from MSDP to basic disk.

sdo

Info: if you remove a client and re-add exactly the same client name to very same policy -(that you just deleted it from) then this will cause the next incremental(s) (until a true full) for that client to be an effective full.