cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import and restore issue

cynthiapinto
Level 4

**** Moved to new discussion from https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/media-id-not-assigned-host-emm-database ****

Hi,

I tried the second phase import as  mentioned in the documet but no luck. By any means I am not able to see the files under Catalog tab.

Not able to understand where I am wrong.  I can see the files under restore file(Backup,Archieve and restore) . So tried to restore it directly but  I am getting error code as 5 & restoration failes. The backup was taken in July 2011 & the expire set is 2038. 

Is it EMM data base is corrupted?  Bcz this tape was wriiten in robotic drive & now trying to restore in standalone drive.  I am not able to see the tapes in EMM database which are written robotic drive.  

The EMM database contains only tape details which are wriiten in standalone drive.

Is there any way to recover the data using standalone drive as my robotic drive is down . 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you have completed phase 1 and 2 imports, the backups can be found in BAR when you type in imported client name in Source Client field and select policy type.

Use the output from phase 2 import to see client names and backup dates.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6

You need to give us more info.

Files and folders are never listed in Catalog section of the GUI - only in BAR section.

Please help us understand what this means:

I tried the second phase import as  mentioned in the documet but no luck. 

What do you mean by 'no luck'? Is phase 2 import failing? Are you getting an error message?

If you can see files/folders in BAR, it means that the import was successful.

To help you troubleshooting the restore failure, you need to give us more info as Status 5 is a generic restore failure telling us nothing.

Start by showing us all text in the Details tab of the failed job in Activity Monitor as well as all text in the 'View Status' tab of the BAR GUI.

Please also tell us all restore parameters - is this a file-level restore back to the same or different client?
Same or different location on the client?

For further troubleshooting, ensure that all of these log folders exist under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs:

On master: bprd (restart NBU after folder is created)

On media server: bptm and bpbrm

On destination client: tar and bpcd

Retry restore after log folders have been created.
Copy log files in the folders to match process name (e.g. bprd.txt) and upload as File attachments.

cynthiapinto
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

thanks for the inputs. I think i have confused myself totally.  Now forgetting about the Import Phase as you said yes I am able to see  data in BAR  & I initiated the restoration ocne again after creating the log directories. Attaching the log  file along with this. 

The error message which i get when the backup failes is

Warning bprd restore must be resumes  prior to first image expiration on Infinity

Restore failed to recover the requested files (5)

Hope this will help you to through some light to solve this

Marianne
Level 6

There seems to be an issue with the tape drive or the media.

Have a look at this error in the bptm log:

io_position_for_read: cannot locate on drive index 0, locate scsi command failed, status = 0x2, key = 0x8, asc = 0x0, ascq = 0x5

The sense key error is a hardware error - NBU is merely reporting the error. 
Have you checked /var/adm/messages for hardware/device errors?

Similar posts that have unfortunately not been resolved:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/restore-issue 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/restore-failure-0 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/restore-not-happening-it-tape-or

Sense key errors on Oracle web site:
 http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19105-01/storedge.6320/817-5918-10/817-5918-10.pdf

cynthiapinto
Level 4

Thanks Marianne,

I have a another backup enviroment . I put the tape in that environment & completed phase 1 & phase 2 import sucessfullysmiley

Being its a different server now my doubt is how will I restore . In BAR how to find these imported files?

Marianne
Level 6

According to your information, files and folders are visisible in BAR, right?
This means that the import was successful but there seems to be a new hardware error that results in the posision error.

Have you gone through my previous post? The URLs as well?

Do you have another tape drive to attempt the restore?

cynthiapinto
Level 4

Hi,

yes I ahve a zanother tape drive attahced to a different backup environment. I put tape in that & completed phase1 & Phase 2 import

Now how will I do restoration & how will  I find the files in BAR because this is different environment . Backup was taken in diffrent setup at all. 

Marianne
Level 6

If you have completed phase 1 and 2 imports, the backups can be found in BAR when you type in imported client name in Source Client field and select policy type.

Use the output from phase 2 import to see client names and backup dates.

cynthiapinto
Level 4

Thanks a lot.. I am able to restore the files