cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Commvault to NetBackup

Sean_C_
Level 3
Certified

I currently look after a NetBackup 7 domain and will soon be inheriting a Commvault environment. Ideally I only want one backup product and was wondering if anyone knew if there was a migration path to eradicate the Commvault environment and bring it in to my NetBackup Domain. The key really is that I may still have to perform historic restores that were taking by Commvault.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

--- Unfortunately NOT possible --- 

You can not import your commvault tapes in to NetBackup.

Even i think in recent NBU version (7.1 & 7.5) we can not import BackupExec tapes.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

--- Unfortunately NOT possible --- 

You can not import your commvault tapes in to NetBackup.

Even i think in recent NBU version (7.1 & 7.5) we can not import BackupExec tapes.

Jason_Dowzell1
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

As already stated above you cannot migrate data from Commvault to NBU (or indeed NBU to Commvault despite what they claim!) - the most common option which customers take is to leave a small implementation of the old product in place for restores and then start using the new product from that date for all new data.

There are third party products which can do data migrations from product a to product b (including Commvault to Netbackup) though it is quite a time consuming process and ultimately, I suspect, could prove to be costly.

Jason

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Dowzell
UK Information Management Practice Head
Symantec UK Ltd

MikeM11
Level 4

Hi,

I cannot vouch for 7.5 as yet but the Backup Exec media reader in 7.1 works absolutely fine.  It is a convoluted and time consuming process but works fine.  There was rhumours of the tape reader disappearing in a future release but not 7.5.

Thanks, Mike

MikeM11
Level 4

Agreed.  Leaving a CommVault stub environment whilst messy is the best option.  Otherwise you can spend a long time using CommVault to restore your data to a new location and re-backup using NetBackup.

Thanks, Mike

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Future Plans
There are no plans to improve or expand coverage beyond the current capabilities, nor support any images after Backup Exec 12.  (There is no support for Backup Exec 12.5 images or later image versions.)

BETR functionality is planned to be discontinued after the NetBackup 7.x lifecycle.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125836

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

yes