cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing / Restoring from spanned backup with tape missing

SYMAJB
Level 5
Partner

I have a customer who has in their posession tape 2 of a 3 tape set containing a backup session image.  They are fairly certain that this specific tape contains the files they want to restore.

The tape(s) were written by a previous version of Netbackup.

Is there any way we can catalog/import and then subsequently recover the files on this one tape from the three tape set (taking into account we don't have tape 1/3 or tape 3/3, only tape 2/3) ?

Thanks,

AJ.

10 REPLIES 10

SYMAJB
Level 5
Partner

I am under pressure to provide a definitive answer as to whether a restore of files can be done in this instance - does anyone have any input ?

Thanks,

AJ.

WHITE_EAGLE
Level 3
Partner

I suggest to you select a product so if:

- VCB proxy backup servers, import of tapes, Can't  restore clients backup please connect to symantec and don't miss out enter doday.

-Importing a backup from one net backup environment to another net backup environment,you also have the option of recovery without import,it takes times to set up once done you can skip the import and do restores as soon as you have the tape at the other site.

Regards.

SYMAJB
Level 5
Partner

My issue / question here is that I believe we need all media involved in the 'spanned-set' in order to import a backup.  Is this correct ?  As I have only part of the media set can I import at all ?  What will happen if I try to perform Phase 1 and Phase 2 with only 1 piece of media (No: 2) of a 3 piece set ?  I believe it will fail.

The Phase 1 Process
This is performed first and must be done on all media concerned with the backups to be imported (particularly if the backups have spanned over several tapes). This phase recreates catalog entries for the backups by populating the media server's Media Database (mediaDB) with the media IDs, and creating the header files of the backup images in the Image Database. After this phase is completed, the images may be browsed for selection for Phase 2 import.

The Phase 2 Process
This may be performed on all media involved in Phase 1, or if there is a selection of backup images desired for importing (after browsing), then the import may be done on the basis of backup IDs. This phase of the import creates the files file(s) of the backup images in the Image Database

Does your reply indicate that there are other products available (outside of Netbackup) which will allow me to recover the data ?

Thanks,

AJ.

hockeynut
Not applicable
Partner

You need to do the phase one import on all media that contain that backup image to rebuild the header file of the image.

SYMAJB
Level 5
Partner

Thanks for your confirmation.  Any ideas as to how (and if) we can achieve a restore from this media ?

AJ.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am pretty sure I have seen some procedure on how to do this  - can't remember if it was a TN, forum post or mailing list. I've been searching for a while now but cannot find what I'm looking for...

You might be better off making this post available to the entire community or either log a support call.

SYMAJB
Level 5
Partner

I asked the customer to place a support call for this issue yesterday morning, and I await any updates.  In the meantime, as you suggest, I have opened this up to the Public domain.

If you come accross anything in the meantime please let me know.

Thanks,

AJ.

WHITE_EAGLE
Level 3
Partner

If single file restore from tape, I think that the main reason they separate operation is in order to deal with backup sets that are written to more than one tape( the important will fail if any of the tapes involved in the backup are  missing0

thanks.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Know that it could be done on the command line with the netbackup tar back in 4.5.

Very shortly what we did back then:

mounted the tape with tpreq

used mt spool past the label

read the tape with netbackup tar, can remember that we needed the i option to ignore errors

unmounted the tape with tpunmount

hope this helps

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Any chance the image you are looking for is on those two tapes?

If it has more than one server backing up to that tape that one server you need may be on those two.

Do the phase 1 import on both tapes, then see if either tape comes up with a complete image that can be imported.