cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing backup Images without running import phase 1 & 2 on Netbackup

usmanjn
Level 2

Hello,

We have DR situation on one of production system and currently working on to activate the DR but overall process is very slow if we use the import phase 1 & 2 methodology as both system have different node configuration and BAR configuration. 

We are looking if anyone has done the recovery without running the import phase 1&2 on Netbackup.

Below link has the details :

ttps://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000026322

We did try above approach but the catalog restore is not working. It fails with error 48: client hostname could not be found.

I have done research on this issue and it seems that catalog restore to a different system requires both the source and destination master servers to have the same name. Otherwise the restore requires support from Veritas/ Symantec.

Any ideas on this will be appreciated.

BR,

usmanjn

5 REPLIES 5

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Moved to the netbackup forum.

usmanjn
Level 2

Thanks Markus

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Recovery without import is made for environments with different hostnames.

Please share the exact steps that you have followed.
This will help us to understand why a hostname from the other environment is looked for.

Marc_LHeureux
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Whenever I do a catalog recovery to a master of a different name, I add the original master name to the DR master's hosts file as an alias to the system hostname.  Usually I've got a few media servers in prod but only a single master/media at DR, so all the media servers added as well.

On unix in /etc/hosts; on windows in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts; something like this.

127.0.0.1  localhost
1.2.3.4 drmaster drmaster.localdomain prodmaster prodmaster.company.com prodmedia1 prodmedia1.company.com prodmedia2 prodmedia2.company.com

Then, when installing NetBackup, use the original master name at the prompts, add storage devices, catalog recovery wizard, ...

It's been a while since I've done one of these, it might help if you also add the orginal master and media as aliases to the DR master in nbemm before runing the catalog recovery wizard.

Genericus
   VIP   

I found that the catalog restore to a differnet system, you have to check the HOT CAT file, and edit it to update the host name, I think it is the fragment lines.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS