cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing backup images of tapes from other netbackup domain

DPO
Level 6

We have few tapes from a legacy netbackup environment and are trying to import the backup images of these tapes into new environment. For few tapes, 1st level of import shows successful and when I search/browse for images, can't see anything.

If I perform the following steps, will the 1st level impot be successful ?

a) bpexpdate -m mediaID -d 0 and

b) delete the tape from EMM database and

c) Run inventory of the library

d) perform a 1st level import again,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to do the next import phase2 before you'll see what was backed up.

The Phase 1 import procedure assigns the media to the media server in the EMM database, and reads the media to create a HEADER file in the ImageDB for each backup that is found. If the backup image being imported spans media, a Phase 1 import needs to be performed on ALL media before running the Phase 2.  
NOTE: The Phase 1 option is referred to as "Initiate Import" in the NetBackup Administration Console.

The Phase 2 import procedure reads the media more thoroughly and creates the FILES file in the images database. The FILES file contains a list of all the files contained in the backup image.  

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43584

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RiaanBadenhorst

You need to do the next import phase2 before you'll see what was backed up.

The Phase 1 import procedure assigns the media to the media server in the EMM database, and reads the media to create a HEADER file in the ImageDB for each backup that is found. If the backup image being imported spans media, a Phase 1 import needs to be performed on ALL media before running the Phase 2.  
NOTE: The Phase 1 option is referred to as "Initiate Import" in the NetBackup Administration Console.

The Phase 2 import procedure reads the media more thoroughly and creates the FILES file in the images database. The FILES file contains a list of all the files contained in the backup image.  

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43584

DPO
Level 6

1st level import is showing as successful but I can't see the images for 2nd level import. Tried using GUI and CLI.

How can I Identify an image spans more than one media?

RiaanBadenhorst

So you selected the media you imported and performed the search as in step 3?

And you don't get any results? Did you set the start date correctly?

Check the results tab (bottom of screen) of the catalog window and see if there is more details that might give you a clue.

Marianne
Level 6

How can I Identify an image spans more than one media?

You still have the environment where the tape(s) came from?

If so, check 'images on media' report on original master server.
Or 'tapes written' report for the period.

If you do not have access to original master, there is no way of knowing.

Do phase 1 import for all possible tapes, then start phase 2 import.

DPO
Level 6

Import log is as follows.

Import phase 1 started Wed 04 Jun 2014 05:42:08 AM EDT
05:42:08 INF - Create DB information for media id xxxx.
05:42:08 INF - Initiation of bptm process to phase 1 import media id xxxx was successful.
05:42:19 INF - Waiting for mount of media id xxxx on server media_server for reading.

05:43:29 INF - Found existing image information for client my_client, policy my_policy, and schedule Full, done on 01/05/2014 12:37:10.
05:43:29 WRN - Cannot import client my_client, policy my_policy, and schedule Full, copy 2 fragment 2 already exists. Skipping this image.

05:44:24 INF - Creation of database information for import of media id xxxx complete.

I might have run this import for the 2nd time (I don't remember) but the tape is from another netbackup domain. I can't search for images. But I know that the tapes were used in 2008 so I gave starting year as 2000 while searching for catalog entries.

If I perform the following steps, will the 1st level impot be successful ?

a) bpexpdate -m mediaID -d 0 and

b) delete the tape from EMM database and

c) Run inventory of the library

d) perform a 1st level import again,

Note : I'm worried about running bpexpdate . So wanted to confirm before doing so. The tapes are write-protected.

DPO
Level 6

@Marianne,

The old netbackup domain no longer exist now. But we have the tape inventory. I was able to perform import for most of the tapes. Only few tapes are giving the problem.

Marianne
Level 6

Import phase 1 started Wed 04 Jun 2014.....

You will not see images in BAR after phase 1.

You need to complete phase 2 as well. 

Please read through Riaan's post again, and follow the steps in the TN.

DPO
Level 6

I'm not trying in BAR. Uunder Catalog section, if I search for that media (slecting Import option), I can't find anything. To perform level 2 import, first I must see the one line entries of these images right ? Those one line entries (so called level 1 import) is showing as successful . But I can't browse or search for the images to perform level 2 import.

Marianne
Level 6

As per step 3 in the TN, check that all search criteria is correct.

Start date must go back far enough to include all possible images.

Also correct Media id, 'All Copies', 'All Clients', 'All Policies', 'All backup types'.

DPO
Level 6

Yes Marianne. I did all the above before starting this thread.

I can see images when I run Tape contents Report. Phase 1 import also successful but can't run Phase 2 import (or find any images to perform Phase 2 import)