cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompatible Medium Installed from LTID - regards cleaning tape

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bit of weird one. This might be for the library vendor, but thought I'd try here, and anyone else seen this.

I have a Compaq ESL library with SDLT 160/320drives and use SDLT tapes. I also have some SDLT cleaning tapes in the library.

Over the weekend a drive via TapeAlert requested a clean. This was noticed from two places. First monitoring the dumping of the ltid tables to a file and searching for Alert 20.
Secondly the daemon UNIX log reported the following.

Aug 21 15:06:19 MASTER tldcd: TLD(1) key = 0x5, asc = 0x30, ascq = 0x0, INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM INSTALLED
Aug 21 15:06:19 MASTER tldcd: TLD(1) Move_medium error
Aug 21 15:06:19 MEDIASRV1 ltid: Cleaning for drive 9 failed, status = Robotic mount failure

As you can see the Media Server MEDIASRV1 requested a mount but not before the MASTER server had reported that INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM INSTALLED.

I know this IS related to the cleaning tape medium. As i previously tried this from the control panel of our library - a manual move of tape into drive.
And the control panel displayed INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM.

Question: Is there special grade SDLT Cleaning Media you are meant to use for SDLT drives?

Worth posing this issue to Compaq (sorry HP).?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can sympatize with you Dennis around having LOTS of cleaning tapes.

However, I am pleased to report this actually fixed the message being reported - it is gone!!!

I replaced the barcode labels CLN001 etc with barcodes with the little S on the end. Imported them and because of the right to left reading and six code char they show up as
MEDIA ID: LN001S
but with
BARCODE ID: CLN001S

I'm happy.
Now off to try and clear this message:
master1 tldcd: TLD(1) media access port extend/retract error
master1 tldcd: TLD(1) key = 0x5, asc = 0x24, ascq = 0x0, INVALID FIELD IN CDB

which happens evertime I inventory robot (inject tapes from load port).
:(

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Jeffrey_Redingt
Level 5
That is weird. I have never heard of problem as long as the cleaning media is the same type as the drive. We only use HP/Compaq media and have never had a problem but if they are both SDLT then everything should work. Are the cleaning media and regular media defined the same way in NetBackup (i.e. dlt3 and dlt3cln or dlt2 and dlt2cln)?

dennis_sexton
Level 5
I had this problem and it turned out to be we had put an incorrect
label on the tape. We had upgraded the drives to from DLT to SDLT,
still had labels from the old drives, and inadvertently used the old
labels. If I recall correctly, the correct label has an "S" on it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Our cleaning media is labelled up as CLN001, CLN002 etc and is specified as dlt3_cln type in the software.

We were supplied with Imation SDLT cleaning cartridges that labelled are compatible with SDLT 220 and 320 Drives and they have the Super DLT brand logo

Need to get to the bottom of this... must be a hardware/media issue.

dennis_sexton
Level 5
Yes our incorrect labels said CLN001, CLN002 as well. That doesn't matter.
On the barcode label, there is a small symbol that differentiates the barcode
type as a DLT versus DLT3 compatible label. I assume the actual code is
in the bar code itself, and the symbol is there for the human eye.
As I said, I believe the symbol is a small "S", and on the incorrect labels
I think it was a "Q" (alas, not being close to the library, I can't check
but I will try to remember to do that the next time I'm over there.)

Thinking we had incorrect tapes, we bought more cleaning tapes, and with those tapes came
correct labels. I didn't even know what had fixed the problem until the Storagetek
guy pointed out the symbol on the label. So now I have LOTS of cleaning tapes :)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can sympatize with you Dennis around having LOTS of cleaning tapes.

However, I am pleased to report this actually fixed the message being reported - it is gone!!!

I replaced the barcode labels CLN001 etc with barcodes with the little S on the end. Imported them and because of the right to left reading and six code char they show up as
MEDIA ID: LN001S
but with
BARCODE ID: CLN001S

I'm happy.
Now off to try and clear this message:
master1 tldcd: TLD(1) media access port extend/retract error
master1 tldcd: TLD(1) key = 0x5, asc = 0x24, ascq = 0x0, INVALID FIELD IN CDB

which happens evertime I inventory robot (inject tapes from load port).
:(

Jeffrey_Redingt
Level 5
The extend/retract error is a problem in the NetBackup mappings file if I remember correctly. There is a technote on this error. Download and apply the latest device mappings file from Veritas and that should resolve the problem.

MayurS
Level 6
Hi,

TO synchronise your barcode with the media ID update this in the %veritas installed folder%/VOLMGR/VM.conf file and restart the Medai manager service.
delete the media from the database and reintroduce it.

MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS 0 8 1:2:3:4:5:6

If your barcode is CLN001S then this above entry will assign a medai id as CLN001

;)

Hope this helps!!!!Message was edited by:
Mayur Shinde