Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremantal and Blocl Level of RMAN backup

muhanad_daher
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Dears,

i have many of DB servers and i use full backup over RMAN.

i need to active the incremantal and block level for oracle backup.

my questions:

1- can i active incremantal backup and BL without VxFS?

2- if i use incremantal, can i run the backup on media tapes? and is the incremantal backup DB tke only the new chnages on database?

6 REPLIES 6

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Unfortunately, No BLIB configuration on Windows is listed in Snapshot Client Compatibility Guide.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126901

muhanad_daher
Level 6

Hello Yasuhisa,

i have Solaris and Suse OS.

what about incremantal backup is that possible in RMAN?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You have selected Windows as OS... See your opening post...

If you look at the sample scripts that comes with NBU installation, you will see that backup level can be specified in the rman script.

The NBU for RMAN manual contains this topic:

About configuring NetBackup for Oracle block-level incremental backups on UNIX and Linux

You may want to read through this section?

muhanad_daher
Level 6

My master is windows and thank you for your reply.

i read it VxFS should available to active it as BLI, but what in my mind.  why i can't active the incremantal backup over database check (proxy server).

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

As per my knowledge BLI without VFS cant be possible

To allow BLI Backups, the database must be on VxFS file systems using the Version 4, 5, 6, or 7 layout, and you must have a valid Veritas Storage Foundation Enterprise license. Use the fstyp -v device command to determine the layout version of your file system.

Block-Level Incremental (BLI) Backup extends the capabilities of NetBackup to back up only changed data blocks of Oracle database files.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Are you talking about two independent topic here - BLIB and proxy copy backup?

As noted in Guide, Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle(consist from VxFS,VxVM and addtional modules for Oracle) must be installed and configured.

For Proxy Copy backup, it is becasuse proxy copy is such type of backup. Proxy copy backup just makes copy of data using storage level snapshot or copy technology. Whole data is moved, so no incremental backups can be configured in proxy copy. If you want incrementals, configure proxy copy incremental level 0(full) backup and stream-based incremental backups.