cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental Backup restore

santave
Level 4

Hi,

I want to backup specific folder in linux clients.
If I backup daily incremental, without doing any full backup.
- Can I still do restoration?
- If I want to restore data at day 10th, will this need data from day 1st till 10th?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You always need a full backup to build incrementals on. In fact without a full Netbackup will run a incremental backup as a full.

Qustion two: yes

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You always need a full backup to build incrementals on. In fact without a full Netbackup will run a incremental backup as a full.

Qustion two: yes

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Nicolai is right - Incremental backups without a Full backup schedule in the same policy that has completed successful, will result in everything getting backed up.

Have a look at this explanation of NBU incrementals:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/difference-between-incremental-and-differential-back#...

Yogesh_Jadhav1
Level 5

As per industry standard, file systems incremental backed are backed as "Cumulative Incremental"  and your requirment is to backup the unix file system so you will need the backup of all the days from the Full backups until the day you wan to restore to accurately restore you stuff!!

Nicolai and Marianne has already answered your query, thought of just explaining with your scenario.

The Secure-Symantec forum links are either not accessible or not working.. How to access these??

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is how I do it:

I copy&paste the link in NotePad, and then replace www-secure.symantec.com with www.veritas.com.

https://www.veritas.com/connect/forums/difference-between-incremental-and-differential-back

This will redirect you to the VOX link.

We have brought this to the attention of VOX admins :

Please fix the links in the Forum posts, Veritas!

Broken links

Missing pictures in old blogs and articles

Unfortunately nothing is being done to fix this.

You may want to add your voice to above posts...