cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental backup larger than the last full backup

Lotfi_BOUCHERIT
Level 5

Hello,

I found this morning that the first incremental backup was about 150 Gigs of data, and the previous schedule was a full which size, is about 140 Gigs.

I thought that the incremental backup in Netbackup just backs up the updated files since the last full. I mean if, for exemple:

Time Schedule Size (U)
T0 Full 100
T1 Incremental 5
T2 Incremental 20
T3 Incremental 30
T4 Incremental 40
T5    
T6    
T7 Full 104

Don't know if this is a normal behaviour or something went wrong with my master server,

I would appreciate if you can give an explanation for that

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

that explines it.

you need to have the both schedules in same policy inorder to have make the incrmental backups to consider the Previous FUll backup.

if you have schedules in different polices it does not consider the Previuos full backups.

keep both schedules in same policy and see the difference..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RamNagalla

are you taking file system backup or database backup?

does the full and incrmental backups are using the same policy or different policies?

Lotfi_BOUCHERIT
Level 5

i am taking file system backups because i do  not have all the licences of netbackup addons

and the schedules reside in different policies, i mean that we have a policy named Server1Incremental, and another policy named Server1Full

RamNagalla

that explines it.

you need to have the both schedules in same policy inorder to have make the incrmental backups to consider the Previous FUll backup.

if you have schedules in different polices it does not consider the Previuos full backups.

keep both schedules in same policy and see the difference..

Siva_TCS
Level 2

I agree with Nagalla. We should have Full backup schedule in the same policy. Otherwise it will consider it as full backup everytime even if you configured incremental backup.