cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental backup policy only how does it effect restores

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hello All,

We have a few Windows servers that we have set the retention period to infinity.   Since we have that type of retention policy we only run Incremental policies would this cause an issue with restores?

Again the reason we have those specific Windows servers set to ONLY backup incrementally is because the retention is set to infinity.

Thanks in advance for any comments  and replies!

6 REPLIES 6

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The longer you go without a new full, the more risk you take. What if corruption happens along the way? You will be stuck at the last good incremental. Doing a synthetic will potentially reduce corruption but still could be an issue. Also having the too many incrementals will increase recovery time, in case of full data recovery

Symantec recommends taking a fresh full backup every once in a while. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

..... the reason we have those specific Windows servers s set to ONLY backup incrementally is because the retention is set to infinity.

First time ever I hear of such a reasoning....

Yes, this would cause an issue with restores. Especially if you lose the system and need a full restore.

I agree with SymTerry - read up on synthetic fulls. This way only Incrementals is done on the client and the server uses the previous Full and incrementals to construct a new Full.

Even with Synthetics Symantec recommends period Fulls.

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi Sym, Marianne Thanks for your responses.

I (we) were told to implement that type of policy, however I will recommend  that we do fulls on these servers at least periodically.

I think management was looking at possible storage issues since we are holding the data forever.

Thanks again for your responses!

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I think management was looking at possible storage issues since we are holding the data forever.

Even more reason to do Fulls periodically!!! 
Ask any TSM customer about their nightmare experience when they last tried to do a full restore with their 'Incrementals forever'!

Please read up on Synthetic backups in NBU Admin Guide I.

Summarize the logic and steps explained in the manual and put that forward to your management.

nbustarter380
Level 6

Marianne,

Thanks, I will read and I already mentioned this  to someone else in the backup group. We are going to put forward a new type policy I don't think it will be a issue with management once we talk with them.

I appreciate your response!

Best regards

nbustarter380
Level 6

Thanks for your reponses..

Best Regards