cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual File Restores VCB virtual Backups

Fischer
Level 4

Hi All,

I just recently setup our virtual center backup environment using a vcb proxy server, and backing up over san.  I  am running netbackup 6.5.3 on both my master server and my proxy server.  I am able to backup virtual machines with no problems and on my restores, if I select restore from virtual machine backup, then I can see the vm files to restore.

The  problem I'm having is with the individual file restores for virtual backups.  I've followed the directions on Symantec's documentation and I can't get them to show up.  I have tried the following snapshot options to no avail: full vm and file for incremental, fullvm, and Mapped FullVM.  I am doig flashbackup for windows as per documentation.  Everytime I try to select Normal backups as the documentation tells me, then netbackup notifies me that there are no files to restore. 

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

p.s. Really don't like the new forums

8 REPLIES 8

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Have you try mounting the VMDK with the vmdk-mount tool? then you can copy the files from VMDK to your VM, also VIBE from NetApp do a very good job, off course if you are using NetApp for your VMFS.

schmaustech
Level 5

In your FlashBackup-Windows policy in the SnapShot Options do you have the Virtual Machine Backup set to 3?

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

Fischer
Level 4

yes, I have tried it with options 1,2, and 3...

I could try restoring the vmdk to a different location, but Netbackup is suppose to allow individual file restores...

thanks

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Are you doing this!

Policy type for Restore: FlashBackup-Windows

Restore Type: Restore from Normal Backup.

schmaustech
Level 5

Post a screenshot of your Backup Archive Restore screen.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

ConnyS
Level 3

Been there and solved that. To fix this problem check the following:

In your policy, click on the Snapshot Client Options Button

Where you Snapshot mount point is listed make sure it looks like this under Value:

x:\MountPointname

Make sure that there is no slash at the end, for some reason this cause the policy not list individual files. Once I removed the slash everything started to work.

Hope it does the same for you.

Fischer
Level 4

Conny, you are amazing.  That's all it took was removing that slash and I can do individual restores now.  Thanks for the help.

That should be listed in a document somenwhere :)

Pravs
Level 4
Employee
perhpas in Netbackup for VMware troubleshooting guide. Let me look in to this.