cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Informix onbar with multiple netbackup policies

martinmij
Level 0

Is it possible to backup the same informix database using different netbackup policies with different retentions?

I had one backup policy for Informix OnBar that runs daily and does a whole database backup. I have tried to create a new policy for monthly backup with longer retention that uses the same backup script but I am having some issues. When I look at the activity monitor I can see that the monthly policy starts the "main" job, but then the other jobs which backup the database continue with the policy witch is used for daily backup and therefore inhereting the retention from that policy.

In the backup script I have seen these variables but they are not set anyway:

echo "INFXBSA_SERVER = $INFXBSA_SERVER"

echo "INFXBSA_SCHEDULED = $INFXBSA_SCHEDULED"

echo "INFXBSA_USER_INITIATED = $INFXBSA_USER_INITIATED"

echo "INFXBSA_FULL = $INFXBSA_FULL"

echo "INFXBSA_INCR = $INFXBSA_INCR"

echo "INFXBSA_POLICY = $INFXBSA_POLICY"

If the INFXBSA_POLICY variable is not set why does the backup job keep using the policy for daily backup? Any help would be appreciated.

BR

1 REPLY 1

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

it uses daily policy because it is probably alphabetically first.

However it is not necassary to use multiple policies. To solve your problem, you can use pairs or Automatic and Application backup schedules, each pair set to the same/similar time window. For example:

Daily Automatic + Daily Application - both set to Mo-Fr 18-22, retention 1 month

Monthly Automatic + Monthly Application - both set to Sa 18-22, retention 6 months

etc.

The the Informix backup will choose correct Appl schedule+retention according to a current time.

Regards

Michal