Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initiate restore problem

Andreas_Holmstr
Level 4
Partner

Hi all

when I try to initiate a prepare to restore of a Linux client i get a error "saying that bmrprep could not complete the request return code 1 will clean up!!!"

I get some more but similar information if I run the "vxlogview -i bmrprep"  see log..

2008-09-26 09:47:09.517 [Info] V-126-43 Cleaning up. Please wait...
2008-09-26 09:48:29.888 [CBmr::readXml(unsigned char *xml, int len, const int fi
lter)] Replaced object in m_vConfig.
2008-09-26 09:48:32.060 [CLinuxDiskAgent.cpp:recreate()] Disk scsi0:00:00:00 is
restricted, skipping for restore.
2008-09-26 09:48:32.060 [bmrprep.cpp:ConfigUnix()] getFileSystemList() returned
empty list
2008-09-26 09:48:32.060 [Error] V-126-3 'bmrprep' could not complete the request
ed operation.
Please see logs for additional information.
2008-09-26 09:48:32.060 [Info] V-126-43 Cleaning up. Please wait...

Anyone experienced similar problem??? 

this linux client is redhat es 4 i386, NB 6.5.2a in the entire environment BMR also 6.5.2. The Linux client i a virtual server in a vmware 3.5 environment....  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolV
Level 5

Hi Andreas,

Could you please try this:

From the BMR GUI, make a copy of the configuration (the one that you are using for your Ptrpatr To Restore).

Right click on the config and select "change".

In the GUI that comes up, expand the "volumes" section in the left pane.

Verify if the configuration appears correct.

Specifically, in the last "Empty Disks" section, see if your disk at scsi0:00:00:00 appears and whether it appears as a restricted disk. (you can right click on the disk and check if "restrict" is enabled or not.)

If your disk is restricted, try unrestricting it.

If unrestrict works, then just verify whether FS configuration for this disk appears on in the config.

Use this config for PTR.

If this works and if you think that the disk should not have appeared as "restricted", I'd suggest that you open a support case.

Thanks,

Amol.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolV
Level 5

Hi,

This is not a SAN boot environment by any chance, is it?

The configuration that you are using for PTR, it has non-restricted disks and file systems on the same to be restored?

It looks like your very first disk: scsi0:00:00:00 which probably has '/' and other file systems of your systems has got restricted owing to some reason.

Owing to this, BMR is not able to find any file systems that it will have to restore.

If this is not the case, opening a support case might help.

My 2c [Includes 12.5% VAT ;) ]

~Amol.

Andreas_Holmstr
Level 4
Partner

AmolV

This is not a SAN booted client, it is a virtual machine in a Vmware environment. The scsi0:00:00:00 is the root "/" filesystem. I don't quite understand the restricted part as this is a "normal" installation redhat es 4 installation...

I set up another environment very similar to this one and got the same problem so maby I have made som wrong configuration somewhere in BMR...  

AmolV
Level 5

Hi Andreas,

Could you please try this:

From the BMR GUI, make a copy of the configuration (the one that you are using for your Ptrpatr To Restore).

Right click on the config and select "change".

In the GUI that comes up, expand the "volumes" section in the left pane.

Verify if the configuration appears correct.

Specifically, in the last "Empty Disks" section, see if your disk at scsi0:00:00:00 appears and whether it appears as a restricted disk. (you can right click on the disk and check if "restrict" is enabled or not.)

If your disk is restricted, try unrestricting it.

If unrestrict works, then just verify whether FS configuration for this disk appears on in the config.

Use this config for PTR.

If this works and if you think that the disk should not have appeared as "restricted", I'd suggest that you open a support case.

Thanks,

Amol.

Andreas_Holmstr
Level 4
Partner

Thank you AmolV

this helped but I ran in to other problems while booting on the new image dont think this is related to the unrestricting of the disk though. It's seems to be a problem with the order in which the host finds new devices...

Thanks again AmolV

AmolV
Level 5

Hi Andreas,

I am glad that it worked out.

>>seems to be a problem with the order in which the host finds new devices...

Humm..Driver load order issues.

I've seen some of those.

Let me know the details in case you get stuck.

Might be able to help out.

Cheers,

Amol.