cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initiate sybase backup from client

shahriar_sadm
Level 6

Hi dear all, 

I have a sybase policy that run successful from server, but when I run script from client no backup job created on master server, can you help me about initiate sybase backup from client?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

This usually caused by wrong clientname, missing environment variable(s) that the master sends.

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/General-database-backup-error-troubleshooting/m-p/675381

Contain some troubleshooting hints, in your case I would also do the connectity one as it very often is a name mismatch that causes this kind of error

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So, it runs fine from master, not from client?

Is any output created by the script when run on the client?

Can you share the script? 
(Please upload with .txt extention)

Hi Marianne, Yes exactly, when I run as administrator script file from client a command prompt appears for a millisecond. I tried to hunted it via PrtSc. please see the below:

SYBACKUP_SERVER =
SYBACKUP_POLICY =
SYBACKUP_SCHED =
SYBACKUP_CLIENT =
SYBACKUP_SCHEDULED =
SYBACKUP_USER_INITIATED =
D:\sybase\BIS\OCS-15_0\bin\isql -Uxxxxxxxx -Pxxxxxxxx -ID:\sybase\BIS\ini\sql.ini -SBIS -i "D:\syb_BIS_dump"

All parameter has no information, when server initiated backup in bphdb log I have similar log with parameter's values (SYBACKUP_SERVER=xxxxxxx, SYBACKUP_POLICY=xxxxx ,....)

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6

Have you tried to look for CMD_FILE and the log files created by the script?

@set CMD_FILE="D:\syb_%DATABASE_NAME%_dump"
D:\isql_out.log

Isql.out file:

Msg 4208, Level 16, State 1: Server '****', Line 1: DUMP TRANsaction to a dump device is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is enabled. Disable the option with sp_dboption, then use DUMP DATABASE, before trying again.

dump file:

dump TRANSACTION **** to "sybackup::-SERV ****** -CLIENT -POL****** -SCHED Default-Application-Backup" go

Marianne
Level 6
There you go!
Your Sybase dba should know how to fix this.
As you can see - these are not NBU errors/messages.