cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inplace upgrade of Media server to 7.5.0.1 - Oracle Databases

demo4119
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What to take note for upgrade media and san media from 7.0.1 to 7.5.0.1 beisde the binary upgrade ?

Do i need to relink the oracle databases?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have assisted with more upgrades in my life than I can remember.

The only thing to look out for is if the default sample scripts have been customized - copy them away before the upgrade to prevent them from being overwritten.

None of our Unix customers needed a restart and/or re-link.  Backups were successful after the upgrade.

I have seen Oracle on Windows needing a restart to re-load the NBU dll.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Remember, this is a NetBackup upgrade, not a database upgrade. NetBackup 7.5.0.1 upgrade will not affected your Oracle databases.

Marianne
Level 6

You did not mention OS.  Can we 'assume' Unix/Linux?

On Unix/Linux, the link is simply a symbolic link (if I remember correctly since Oracle 8.1.7). 
I have never needed to re-link Oracle since a 'make' is no longer required.

I have not yet done 7.1 to 7.5 upgrade, but this has been my experience with more NBU upgrades on Unix than I can remember....

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

You may need to reastart Oracle database on UNIX/Linux after upgrade. NetBackup 7.5 for Oracle Administrator's Guide says "If this installation is an upgrade, restart the Oracle instance".

oracle_link script just create symbolic link, and I believe there are no need to re-run oracle_link as far as file name of libobk is not changed. But I believe restart of Oracle DB is needed although you do not re-run oracle_link while upgrade.

demo4119
Level 6

If a reinstalling of netbackup 7.5 is required . so i just need to copy the oracle scripts from the existing folder?

muhanad_daher
Level 6

in case you want to install or upgrade on nbu you need to relink the database or you will get status code 6, but before any update you need to copy the RMAN files in safe place and after have finish your upgrade return back RMAN files.

Marianne
Level 6

I have assisted with more upgrades in my life than I can remember.

The only thing to look out for is if the default sample scripts have been customized - copy them away before the upgrade to prevent them from being overwritten.

None of our Unix customers needed a restart and/or re-link.  Backups were successful after the upgrade.

I have seen Oracle on Windows needing a restart to re-load the NBU dll.

demo4119
Level 6

installed and upgrade 2 oracle successful last weekend.