Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Client Netbackup 6.5 Package in Redhat 2.6

Ialahmad
Level 5
Partner

Hi All;
I'm try to install Netbackup 6.5 client version on machine server running Redhat2.6 OS using install script but the script procedure indicate the name of package will be installed is Suse2.6 not Redhat2.6.
I scan the install script and there is option allow you to choose OS type but this option not appear on running script. So how I can install Netbackup client Redhat package not Suse on Redhat server. 
BR.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

The only place the 'install' script appears to look to see if is indeed SuSE is to check for the presence of two files /etc/SuSE-release or /sbin/SuSEconfig. If that is the case then it sets the variable PLATFORM to linuxS_x86 or linuxS_ia64 (as opposed to linuxR....) which I presume it then utilises to install the appropriate binaries.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
There are separate installation CDs for the server software depending on OS including one for Suse 2.6, but for clients there are only 3 CDs to choose from:

UNIX Clients 1: Tru64  HP  AIX
UNIX Clients 2: Linux  Mac
UNIX Clients 3: Solaris  FreeBSD  IRIX

So you should be looking for the UNIX Clients 2 CD.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Please post output of uname -a on the client.

As per the Unix install Guide (p.89):

The installation procedure attempts to load the appropriate binaries for your system. If the script does not recognize the local operating system, it presents choices.

The Client selection for the different platforms can be found in the O/S compatibility guide . See p.50 onwards.

Ialahmad
Level 5
Partner
ok I used CD2 65_CLIENTS2 and I run install  form it . can we downlaod rpm package of client linux Redhat Netbackup 6.5?

Ialahmad
Level 5
Partner

[root@dbgridc mnt]# uname -a
Linux dbgridc 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 17:03:35 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

also this is head of installatio log

Symantec Installation Script
Copyright 1993 - 2007 Symantec Corporation, All Rights Reserved.

Installing NetBackup Client Software
 NOTE:  To install NetBackup Server software, insert the appropriate
        NetBackup Server cdrom.
Do you wish to continue? [y,n] (y) y
Do you want to install the NetBackup client software for this client? [y,n] (y) y
This package will install Linux/SuSE2.6 client.
This package will install NetBackup client 6.5.
Enter the name of the NetBackup server : master

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

The only place the 'install' script appears to look to see if is indeed SuSE is to check for the presence of two files /etc/SuSE-release or /sbin/SuSEconfig. If that is the case then it sets the variable PLATFORM to linuxS_x86 or linuxS_ia64 (as opposed to linuxR....) which I presume it then utilises to install the appropriate binaries.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Weird indeed...
Is this a brand new install or is there maybe an old NBU installation that still exists in /usr/openv ?
Please see if /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version exists? If so, please post contents.

Ialahmad
Level 5
Partner
Problem solved I check /sbin/SuSEconfig there is file named I change file name it is done.
thank you Andy Welburn

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
how did it get there? Not a Linux guru by any stretch of the imagination so .....

If you are happy that this issue is resolved, I would be grateful if you could mark my post as "solution".